Jul 20, 2024  
2016-2017 Springfield College Undergraduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Springfield College Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies

Academic life at Springfield College is governed by a series of policies and regulations that insure consistency and permit fairness to all students. These policies are under the auspices of the Office of Academic Affairs and can be found in the Springfield College undergraduate and graduate catalogs. They are managed by the Office of the Registrar which is responsible for preparing class schedules, enrolling students in courses, and compiling and maintaining grade reports and records. Student’s transcripts and certifying eligibility for loans takes place at the Office of the Registrar, which is located on the first floor of the Administration Building.

Academic policies apply to all students enrolled for the current academic year. Specific program requirements and course descriptions apply to entering matriculated students for the duration of their enrollment as degree seeking students.

This document contains information about the following topics:


Academic Advising

   ^ Top

Academic advising is considered an integral part of a student’s academic experience. Prior to beginning their first semester, all matriculated (degree-seeking) students are assigned an academic advisor, generally a faculty member in the student’s major. The academic advisor and the student will work together to evaluate the student’s educational development, select appropriate courses of study, and attempt to meet the student’s educational goals. Advisors are available to guide and support students, but it is the responsibility of each student to be familiar with academic policies and programs and to assume responsibility for his or her academic program.

Exploratory Studies / Undeclared majors are advised through the Academic Advising Office. When a student is accepted into a new major, a new academic advisor will generally be assigned by the chairperson of the student’s new major.

Students must consult with their academic advisor before registering for courses or making changes to their academic schedule. Advisor approval/registration clearance is required on all course requests and change-of-schedule forms.

For more information, you may also click here to visit the Academic Advising home page.

Academic Success Center

   ^ Top


The Academic Success Center is Springfield College’s core resource for a wide array of student academic services with the goal of supporting all Springfield College student’s pursuit of academic excellence. These free services include the following:

  • Writing Support Services provides help with all aspects of the writing process. Writing Support Services operates mainly on a drop-in basis during its regular hours, but we maintain an appointment book to accommodate appointments, repeat visits, and requests for particular tutors.
  • Math-Science Support Services offers assistance in courses offered by the Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science Department and the Biology / Chemistry Department. Math-Science Support Services is staffed by faculty specialists, graduate teaching fellows, and peer tutors and operates primarily on a drop-in basis during its regular hours.
  • Learning Support Services coordinates academic accommodations and support services for students with documented disabilities.  Learning Support Services operates mainly on an appointment but drop-in visits are welcome.

In addition to its core services, the Academic Success Center has several Individualized Academic Programs.

  • The Content Tutorial Program makes available tutoring support for student coursework outside of the areas covered by Writing Support Services and Math-Science Support Services. Tutors are assigned after a student makes a request through Full Circle.
  • The Academic Coaching Program offers individualized assistance to students who want to maximize their academic potential by improving their study skills, time management and other academic abilities. Students should fill out a request form located on the Academic Coaching program’s webpage.
  • The Assistive Technology Program utilizes computing equipment and software to assist learners of all backgrounds and abilities with their academic endeavors. Students interested in training opportunities should contact the Academic Success Center. 
  • The MTEL Assistance Program provides support for students preparing to take the Communications and Literacy Skills portion of the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure®.  Students should directly contact the appropriate MTEL Specialist.  Their phone numbers are located on the MTEL Assistance Program’s webpage.
  • The Conversation Partners Program provides support for non-native speaking students wishing to improve linguistic skills in English, Spanish, French, Chinese, and other languages as available.  Tutors are assigned after a student makes a request through Full Circle.
  • The Academic Progress Program is designed for students striving to return to good academic standing. This program provides assistance and support to help students improve academic skills and performance. Students concerned about their academic standing should contact the Director of the Academic Success Center. 

The Aacademic Success Center is located on the first floor of Hickory Hall, room 109 and can be contacted at 413-748-3747 or at asc@Springfieldcollege.edu.  The most up-to-date information and support service schedules are available on the ASC’s pride net page: https://pridenet.spfldcol.edu/ICS/Academic_Departments/Academic_Success_Center/

For more information, you may also click here to visit the Academic Success Center home page.

Academic Credit

   ^ Top

The unit of measure for student progress at Springfield College is the “credit hour.” One credit hour is generally equated with fifty minutes of lecture each week through the duration of one fifteen-week semester.

Academic Grievance Policy

   ^ Top

If a student believes that she or he has been treated unfairly in his or her academic work (grade, departmental/program standards, etc.), the student has the right to seek resolution of the concern through informal and formal processes. At any step in the process, the student may consult with his or her academic advisor or any other faculty or staff member for advice.

Step 1 (informal process):
Within 30 calendar days of the disputed action, the student must raise the concern with the instructor or appropriate party. The instructor or other party should respond to the student regarding this concern within 14 calendar days. (If the 30 days are interrupted by the close of a term or semester break, the remaining days will extend into the beginning of the following term or semester. In situations in which the instructor is on leave or no longer employed by the College, the student should proceed to Step 2.)

Step 2 (informal process):
If the student and the instructor do not agree to a resolution, the student has 14 calendar days from the instructor’s response to raise the concern with the chairperson of the department in which the grievance occurred or the campus director. The chairperson or campus director should respond to the student regarding this concern within 14 calendar days and must notify the instructor of the continuation of the grievance process.

Step 3 (formal process, if needed):
If accord is not yet reached through the steps above, the student may file a written grievance using the Academic Grievance Form. The grievance form must be submitted to the dean of the school in which the grievance occurred within 14 days following the chairperson or campus director’s response to the student. Upon receipt of the form, the school dean will conduct whatever review is needed to arrive at a resolution, including, if necessary, a meeting with the student and instructor. The dean will notify all parties involved in writing of her or his decision and any subsequent actions. The decision of the school dean regarding the grievance is final.

Note: A student should also use this process to resolve a dispute with a department, program coordinator, department committee, etc. In such a case, the student should raise the concern with the relevant department chair or campus director within 30 calendar days of the disputed action (extending into the next semester or term if necessary). The chairperson should respond within 14 days. If accord is not reached, the student should proceed to Step 3, filing a written grievance with the appropriate dean within 14 calendar days of the chairperson or campus director’s response.

This policy is not intended to supercede the Academic Integrity and Honesty Policy or the Harassment/Discrimination Policy.

Academic Honesty and Integrity Policy

   ^ Top

Springfield College students are expected to be academically honest. Misrepresentation of facts, omissions or falsifications in any connection with the academic process (including both course work and official college documents) are violations of the Academic Honesty and Integrity Policy, hereafter referred to as the Policy.

Students are urged to consider that the public value of their education depends on the integrity of the grading system, and that academic dishonesty in any form dilutes the value of those grades. The Policy is not intended to diminish collegiality at Springfield College. All of us learn from our colleagues and education is a cooperative enterprise. Simple justice requires, however, that students receive the quantity and quality of academic credit they have earned. Justice of this sort is compatible with the community values and shared experiences on which a liberal education is based. If students know of fellow students who are cheating, or taking unfair advantage of policies or procedures, they should bring that to the attention of the course instructor and/or Dean of Students, (anonymously, if they wish).

Misunderstanding the Policy will not be accepted as an excuse for dishonest work. If a student is in doubt on some points as they affect work in a particular course or as they may be interpreted in practice, he or she should consult with the instructor in the course or the dean of the school in which the course is offered, so as to avoid the serious charge of academic dishonesty.

Academic achievement is generally evaluated on the basis of completed “Exercises” (defined hereinafter) that a student produces independently. Obtaining credit for work, words, or ideas which are not the products of a student’s own effort is dishonest. Such dishonesty undermines the integrity of the academic standards of the College. Consequences of violating the Academic Honesty and Integrity Policy entail penalties ranging from failing an exercise to failing a course, reprimand, suspension, dismissal, expulsion from the College, forfeiture of a diploma and/or legal action. This Policy also applies to alumni, insofar as it relates to Springfield College transcripts and other records of work at Springfield College.

Basic Policy

   ^ Top

A student’s name on any “Exercise(s)”, which term shall include, but not be limited to, a theme, oral report, notebook, report, computer program, course paper, quiz, examination or any other assignment related to a course or internship thereto, is regarded as assurance that the exercise is the result of the student’s own thoughts and study, stated in his or her own words, and produced without assistance, except as quotation marks, references, and footnotes acknowledge the use of printed sources or other outside help. In some instances an instructor or department may authorize students to work jointly in solving problems or completing projects. Such efforts must be clearly marked as the results of collaboration. Where collaboration is authorized, students should make sure that they understand which parts of any assignment must be performed independently. Students are not allowed to present the same “Exercise” previously or concurrently completed for another course, without the permission of the instructor(s) of the current course(s) in question. Students who perceive the possibility of an overlapping assignment should consult with their instructors before presuming that a single effort will meet the requirements of both courses.

Offenses Against The Policy

   ^ Top

Use of Sources
In preparing assignments a student often needs or is required to employ outside sources of information or opinion. All such sources should be listed in the bibliography/reference section.

For citations, references in text are required for all specific facts which are not common knowledge and which do not obtain general agreement. New discoveries or debatable opinions must be credited to the source with specific references to edition, page, or web page even when the student restates the matter in his or her own words. Word-for-word, including any part, even if only a phrase or sentence, from the written or oral statement of someone else (including the internet) requires citation in quotation marks and using the appropriate conventions for attribution. Paraphrasing or summarizing the contents of another’s work is not dishonest if the source or sources are clearly identified (author, title, edition, page), but such paraphrasing does not constitute independent work and may be rejected by the instructor.

Laboratory Work and Assignments
Notebooks, homework, and reports of investigations or experiments must meet the same standards as all other written work. If any of the work is done jointly or if any part of the experiment or analysis is made by anyone other than the writer, acknowledgment of this fact must be made in the report submitted. It is dishonest for a student to falsify or invent data.

Creative Work
A piece of work presented as the individual creation of the student is assumed to involve no assistance other than incidental criticism from any other person. A student may not knowingly employ artwork, story material, wording or dialogue taken from published work, motion pictures, lectures, World Wide Web or similar media, without full acknowledgment.

Examinations, Quizzes, and Tests
In writing examinations and quizzes, the student is required to respond entirely on the basis of his or her own memory and capacity, without any assistance whatsoever except such as is specifically authorized by the instructor.

Cheating on examinations and quizzes can take many forms including, but not limited to, using another individual to take an examination in one’s place, bringing into the exam room unauthorized materials from which one gains assistance, appropriating an exam or exam materials without authorization, purposely missing an exam in order to gain an advantage, copying during an examination, improper collaboration or unauthorized assistance on take-home examinations, or other actions that undermine equity and reduce the objectivity of evaluation of student work.

Students involved in community projects, practica, independent studies, or fieldwork experiences related to their academic program should be aware that their behavior is a reflection of themselves and the College; their behavior related to such experiences should be appropriate and professional and is subject to this Policy. Violations of this Policy in such circumstances include, but are not limited to, misrepresenting oneself, misrepresenting the College, misusing a position of authority, or failure to honestly report the results of their experience or research.

College Documents
Any misuse of official College documents connected with the academic process constitutes a violation of the Policy. Such documents include, but are not limited to registration forms (add/drop/withdrawal/waivers), change of schedule forms, applications to change majors, grade report forms, applications for internships or fieldwork, and transcripts. Misuse of such documents includes, but is not limited to, unauthorized alteration of a form, forging of signatures, or misrepresentation of personal or academic information requested. Violations of the Academic Honesty and Integrity Policy that fall under the paragraph entitled “College Documents,” including but not limited to forging an advisor’s signature on a registration form, should be considered an offense against the College rather than a course-related offense involving a specific instructor. As such, the procedure to be followed is described in the third paragraph under the heading “Procedure,” i.e. the matter should be referred to the Dean of Students for further disciplinary action.

Other Offenses Against The Academic Policy
In addition to fraudulent uses of sources as described above, dishonesty includes a number of offenses that circumvent procedures set up to produce a fair grade. The use of services of commercial “research” companies is cheating and a punishable offense. Any falsification of records or routines for grading is dishonest, whether before or after graduation. Gaining access to a recommendation (without permission) once rights have been waived is a violation of the Policy. Withholding, removing or destroying materials needed by other students for class exercises is as much an offense against the Policy as is plagiarism. Lying in the course of an investigation or a hearing pursuant to the Policy shall also be deemed a violation of this Policy.

Students should be scrupulous in learning the principles that govern each new area of computer operations to which they are introduced. Unauthorized collaboration, unauthorized borrowing of someone else’s data or programs, and use of the Springfield College computer for unethical purposes and/or other purposes, which violate any of the terms of this Policy, are a violation of this Policy and are subject to disciplinary and/or legal action.


   ^ Top

All cases of suspected academic dishonesty shall be referred to the instructor of the course in which the offense occurred. The person alleging a violation of the Policy shall provide copies of the work in question to the instructor and indicate clearly the nature of the alleged violation in an accompanying narrative. In cases of plagiarism, the person making the charge shall provide copies of original sources, if available, marking plagiarized phrases, sentences, and/or paragraphs, and shall indicate borrowings in the accused’s text and in original sources. In the case of an examination, the person making the charge shall provide to the instructor copies of the examination in question, indicate specifically the grounds for the charge, and explain his or her process of discovery. Other alleged offenses against the Policy should be documented with equal thoroughness and in equal detail.

The instructor is expected to meet with the student and if applicable, sanction the student with respect to the course work for which the instructor is responsible, as provided in I, II, or III below. If assistance with the investigation is needed, the instructor may consult with or refer the matter to the Dean of Students or his/her designee. If the instructor determines that the student has violated the Policy, the sanction (I, II, or III) shall be assessed to the offender and that decision will be conveyed to the student in a letter from the instructor. The student will be informed in the letter that he or she has the right to appeal any decisions to the Dean of the School wherein the Policy violation occurred. The appeal must be in writing and include all materials the accused considers relevant, including a narrative clearly outlining the grounds of appeal. The decision of the Dean in response to this appeal will prevail.

In addition to sanction I, II, or III, the instructor has the option of referring the matter to the Dean of Students or his/her designee to investigate whether further disciplinary action is warranted. The Office of the Dean of Students following a referral to its office may act on the offense pursuant to the Student Judicial Code (the “Code”). The student shall have all rights and remedies as provided in the Code. If the Dean of Students believes that a violation exists, he/she shall have the right to sanction a student in accordance with the Code, which may include, but not be limited to, suspension, dismissal, expulsion, revocation of degree, or legal action.

Course Related Sanctions

   ^ Top

No student may withdraw from a course following an accusation of a violation of this Policy, unless it is determined that no such violation occurred. An instructor is authorized to enact any sanction under I, II, or III, which he/she judges to be appropriate with respect to the course in which the violation occurred.

I. Reprimand
In some cases in which a first offense has been judged to merit a minor penalty, the student will be allowed to repeat the exercise or complete an alternative assignment, as determined by the instructor of the course. Responsibility for evaluation of the student’s work in the course continues to belong to the instructor of the course. The instructor should keep documentation of the offense and the reprimand.

II. Loss of credit in the exercise
For most offenses the least severe penalty will be loss of credit in the exercise. The student may be required to repeat the exercise or complete an alternative assignment, although credit will not be given. The student will be allowed to continue in the course. The instructor should keep documentation of the offense and the resulting sanction.

III. A grade of “F” in the course
When the offense is sufficiently serious to merit failure in the course, the student will be removed from the course immediately and the instructor will give a grade of “F”. The instructor must write a letter notifying the student of his/her status. A copy of the letter should be sent to the Dean of Students for inclusion in the student’s permanent file.

Academic Honors

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students whose final cumulative grade point average (GPA) is 3.500 or above and who have completed at least forty-five graded semester hours (exclusive of pass/fail grades) at Springfield College are awarded their degrees with honor according to the following criteria:

  Summa Cum Laude   3.900 to 4.000
  Magna Cum Laude   3.700 to 3.899
  Cum Laude   3.500 to 3.699

The qualifying cumulative GPA shall be determined at the close of the spring semester for May commencement and shall only include students who have completed all degree requirements. Students eligible for academic honors will be announced prior to commencement, and will be recognized at the May commencement ceremony with honor cords. Academic honors shall be noted on diplomas and transcripts.

Academic Progress Policy

   ^ Top

This Institutional Academic Progress Policy applies to both full-time and part time matriculated undergraduate students enrolled in the School of Arts, Sciences and Professional Studies (ASPS); the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation (HPER); the School of Health Sciences and Rehabilitation Studies (HSRS); or interdisciplinary programs at Springfield College. A student is matriculated if he or she received official acceptance into Springfield College through the admissions process as a degree seeking student.

Academic Review

   ^ Top

Following the close of each full semester (fall and spring), a systematic undergraduate academic records review is conducted by the Registrar to determine student academic standing status classifications. Matriculated undergraduate students will be subject to review once they have attempted the completion of 12 cumulative credits at Springfield College.

  • For the purpose of determining academic progress, attempted hours are defined as:
    Credits for courses graded “A” through “F”, “P”, “W”, “NR”, “I”, “IC”, “IE”, “PI”, “CP”, “X”  and accepted transfer credits.

Academic Progress

   ^ Top

In order to be considered a full time student at Springfield College, a student must enroll in at least 12 credit hours in a semester. Full time students are expected to earn a minimum of 24 credit hours in an academic year, comprising two semesters and a summer. The undergraduate student who does not earn a total of 24 credits in the standard two-semester academic year may earn credit sufficient to meet or exceed the criterion through coursework taken the summer immediately following the end of the year review.

The undergraduate student who does not earn a total of 24 credits in an academic year maintains matriculation status but is not eligible for participation in College activities for which satisfactory academic progress is a qualification. Differing requirements may exist for full-time status as it applies to Financial Aid eligibility and Intercolliegiate Athletic eligibility.

Academic Standing

   ^ Top

A matriculated undergraduate student enrolled in the School of Arts, Sciences, and Professional Studies; the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation; the School of Health Science and Rehabilitation Studies; or interdisciplinary programs must have an institutional cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 2.000 to be eligible for graduation with a bachelor’s degree from Springfield College. The 2.000 CGPA is the minimum standard for the College; academic departments or schools may have higher standards for entrance into or continuation in their undergraduate programs.  Students are responsible for reviewing program standards and requirements found in the official department, school, or institutional documents.

An undergraduate student’s academic standing status is assessed at the end of each semester according to the Cumulative Grade Point Average criteria listed below. As a result of the undergraduate academic records review process, undergraduate students are assigned the appropriate academic standing status actions listed below.

Cumulative Grade Point Average Criteria

   ^ Top

There are three minimum cumulative GPAs that students must meet, depending upon the number of credit hours they have attempted. The minimum CGPAs are as follows:

Credit Hours Attempted for Completion   Minimum GPA
After attempting the completion of 0.5-30 credits   1.800 GPA
After attempting the completion of 30.5-59.5 credits   1.900 GPA
After attempting the completion of 60.0 and above   2.000 GPA

Academic Standing Status Categories

   ^ Top

Following determination of status by the undergraduate academics records review process, academic standing status actions (Good Academic Standing, Academic Warning, Academic Alert. Academic Probation, Continued Probation, and Academic Dismissal) go into effect at the start of the successive semester (Fall or Spring).

Good Academic Standing

   ^ Top

An undergraduate student whose CGPA is at or above the minimum standards (as noted above), is classified as an undergraduate student in good academic standing at the College. An undergraduate student who has received an academic alert or an academic warning is also considered to be in good academic standing.  Note that a student on academic probation or continued academic probation is not considered to be in good academic standing.

Academic Warning

   ^ Top

A first-time (non-transferring) undergraduate student who has attempted the completion of at least 12 but no more than 18 cumulative credits will be subject to an academic warning if his or her cumulative GPA fails to meet the criterion of 1.800, but is at or above 1.650. A student given an academic warning is considered to be in good academic standing.

Academic Warning will not be recorded on the student’s academic transcript. A student will be removed from academic warning when he or she has successfully met the appropriate CGPA.

Academic Alert

   ^ Top

An undergraduate student who is in good academic standing, but has a semester GPA below the required CGPA, will receive an academic alert. The academic alert is designed to notify the undergraduate student that he or she is in danger of not continuing in good academic standing, and to encourage that student to seek academic support. This action is advisory and will not be recorded on the student’s academic transcript.

Academic Probation

   ^ Top

The undergraduate student who, at any academic review point fails to meet the CGPA academic standing criterion, and who does not meet the criteria for academic warning, is placed on academic probation. An undergraduate student who is placed on academic probation will maintain matriculation status but will only be eligible for financial aid if they are granted a financial aid appeal through the Office of Financial Aid.

The undergraduate student who is placed on academic probation will be notified of this academic standing by letter. As part of the letter of notification from the Office of Academic Affairs, the undergraduate student on academic probation may be informed that he or she is required to take certain courses, limit the number of courses taken, or fulfill other conditions specified. Academic probation status will be recorded on the student’s academic transcript.

An undergraduate student will be removed from academic probation when he or she meets or exceeds the criterion CGPA as noted above under Cumulative Grade Point Average Criteria. Failure to meet this criterion, or the criteria for Continued Academic Probation will result in the student being academically dismissed. When an undergraduate student is removed from academic probation, it will be so noted on the transcript.

Continued Academic Probation

   ^ Top

An undergraduate student who was on academic probation during the semester of review will be continued on academic probation if the student’s semester GPA shows significant improvement, but his or her CGPA remains below the required level. Significant improvement is generally defined as a student earning a semester GPA of at least 2.000  while completing at least 9 credits and having met the conditions of his or her academic probation.  Failure to meet this standard will result in the student being academically dismissed.  If continued on academic probation, the undergraduate student will be subject to the conditions specified under Academic Probation. Continued Academic Probation will be recorded on the student’s academic transcript.

Note: A student who completes coursework during a summer or intersession term that may modify his or her academic standing of academic probation or continued academic probation must request a records review by the Registrar’s office prior to or at the beginning of the subsequent semester. The Registrar will review the student’s record and make appropriate adjustments.

Academic Dismissal

   ^ Top

At any academic standing review point, an undergraduate student who is currently on academic probation or continued academic probation will be academically dismissed when the criteria for continued academic probation are not met. The Office of Academic Affairs will send the undergraduate student a notification letter of dismissal. The student may appeal the academic dismissal by submitting a request in writing to the Undergraduate Appeals Committee, via the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.

The institutional academic dismissal will be recorded on the student’s transcript.

Academic Dismissal Readmission

   ^ Top

An undergraduate student who has been academically dismissed from the College does not maintain matriculation status and may not take courses at Springfield College for a minimum of two (2) academic semesters (inclusive of Fall and Spring only) following academic dismissal.  Thereafter, he or she may make a formal application for readmission to the College. A student who is officially readmitted to the College following academic dismissal will return on academic probation unless he or she has 1) raised his or her CGPA to equal or exceed the appropriate academic standing criterion through course work transferred from another accredited institution, and 2) has met all other conditions of readmission from academic dismissal.

When a student is removed from academic dismissal, it will be so noted on the transcript.

Appeal Process

   ^ Top

An undergraduate student who has been academically dismissed from the College may appeal the academic dismissal to the Undergraduate Appeals Committee by submitting a written request for a hearing to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs. The timeline for the appeal will be specified in the letter of notification of dismissal.

The undergraduate student’s appeal should contain information about circumstances affecting the student’s academic performance and the student’s plans to remedy the situation. Students may bring one Springfield College employee to the appeal meeting for emotional support or to present brief information on the student’s behalf. A College employee invited to attend is under no obligation to do so. A lawyer may not be present at the appeal meeting, either as a legal representative or as the above-mentioned College employee. Any College personnel speaking on behalf of the student will not be in the room during the student’s presentation but will be invited to speak following the student’s appeal presentation. The student may also bring letters of support written by any individual.

The Undergraduate Appeals Committee will review the appeal. If the committee recommends that the appeal be supported, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs concurs, the student will be allowed to return on continued academic probation and will be required to adhere to all academic standing policies.

The Office of Academic Affairs will inform the undergraduate student of the appeal decision by letter. The outcome of the appeal will be noted on the student’s academic transcript.

Academic Classification

   ^ Top

Academic Credit Loads Per Semester

  Full-time undergraduate student - Enrolled for twelve or more credit hours
  Half-time undergraduate student - Enrolled for six to eleven and one-half credit hours
  Less-than-half-time undergraduate student - Enrolled for five and one-half or fewer credit hours

Determination of Class Year - Classification

A student is considered a matriculated (degree-seeking) student at Springfield College as soon as he or she is officially accepted by the Office of Admissions. Designation of classification is established by the total number of semester hours a student has earned, inclusive of transfer credit awarded. The determination of class year occurs at the time grades are calculated each semester.

Undergraduate Classifications

Earned 0 - 29.5 credit hours - FR, First-year student
Earned 30 - 59.5 credit hours - SO, Sophomore
Earned 60 - 89.5 credit hours - JR, Junior
Earned 90 and above credit hours - SR, Senior graduate

Athletics Policy

   ^ Top

Students are permitted to play on one team per season and must maintain full-time undergraduate standing. Additional information on student athletics is available in the Athletics Department’s publication of policies and procedures.

Cancellation of Classes

   ^ Top

Cancellation of classes because of inclement weather will be updated on the Springfield College website news page. Students, faculty and staff may sign up for SC Alert by clicking on the SC Alert button on the College’s home page and following the links. This program sends emergency notifications to a person’s mobile phone, Blackberry, wireless PDA, pager, smart or satellite phones, and e-mail addresses, including “pop ups” to Google, Yahoo, or AOL members. Cancellations will also be aired on radio stations WHYN AM 560 and television stations WWLP TV 22, ABC 40 and CBS 3. Students and faculty are advised to tune in to one of these stations on the morning in question. After 6:00 A.M., students may also call the school closing information line at (413) 748-5999 or refer to the Springfield College Cable TV station, which is aired in campus academic buildings and throughout the residence halls. Generally, if no cancellation is indicated by the 7:00 A.M. media announcements, classes will take place as scheduled.

Catalog Year Policy

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students are responsible to complete the requirements for their major, minor, and degree that were in place upon their admittance to the College as a matriculated (degree-seeking) student - this is considered the student’s catalog year. (Note: If a student is readmitted to the College following a withdrawal or dismissal, he or she is responsible to complete the requirements in place on the new matriculation date.)

If circumstances warrant, students (with approval from their department chairperson or SPCS campus director) may petition the dean of their school to change their catalog year for their major and/or minor.

Students may also petition to substitute or waive specific major or minor requirements. Those substitutions or waivers must be approved by the department chairperson or SPCS campus director and the dean of the student’s school. Students who wish to substitute or waive General Education program requirements must petition the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs. All waivers or substitutions must be properly documented with the Registrar.

In certain circumstances, the College may approve changes to requirements that some or all students must fulfill, regardless of their date of entry. If such a case occurs, affected students will be notified.

Class Attendance Policy

   ^ Top

Springfield College students are expected to attend all class sessions for which they are registered; they are also responsible for the material covered in each class session and completion of assigned work by the announced due dates. Instructors are responsible to clearly communicate to the students via the syllabus their policies regarding class attendance and make-up work.

Certain situations are recognized as College-excused absences from class, including:

  1. Participation in an athletic activity approved by the athletic director and on file in the dean of students’ office.
  2. Participation in a scheduled curricular or co-curricular activity approved by the appropriate dean or vice-president and on file in the dean of students’ office.
  3. Observation of religious holidays.

Instructors should excuse absences of the above nature if the student follows the guidelines listed below. If possible, the instructor should allow the student to make up the class work or complete an alternative assignment. A student who anticipates absences of this nature:

  • must provide his or her instructors with a list of dates of expected absences by the end of the first week of class and discuss with each instructor the impact of such absences. If the instructor deems that the absences will interfere with the student’s ability to successfully complete the objectives of the course, the student must seek to reduce the absences or withdraw from the course.
  • should arrange in advance of the absence for make-up of any work that will be missed.
  • should notify the instructor as soon as possible in the event of a sudden change of schedule (for example, participation in a game rescheduled due to rain or joining a team mid-season) and provide documentation if requested. Again, impact of the absence(s) must be discussed with the instructor.

Absences due to illness or emergency:

  • In the event of illness or emergency, notify your professors as soon as possible and discuss your options for obtaining missed material. Leave a voice-mail message or use e-mail to contact them.

Course Numbering System

   ^ Top

Course levels:

100-level:   These courses are broad surveys or an introduction to a discipline. They do not have prerequisites, unless it is a sequential course.
200-level:   These courses are introductions to, or principles of, areas of study within a discipline. They may or may not have prerequisites.
300-level:   These are advanced courses, providing depth of study in a specialized topic, or pre-practicums. They often have prerequisites, or assume readiness for advanced level study.
400-level:   These are highly specialized undergraduate courses, capstone seminars, or capstone practicums. Prerequisites, a level of readiness, or advancement within the major may be required for this advanced level of work.
500-level:   These courses are generally introductory or entry level graduate courses. Undergraduates ready for graduate level work may take these courses for undergraduate credit. Undergraduates seeking graduate credit must petition to do so. The course may apply to only one degree.

The listing of courses described herein is not intended to imply that offerings have been finally determined for the 2016-2017 academic year. All courses are subject to faculty availability.

Credits and Degree Requirements

   ^ Top


   ^ Top

Degrees are conferred three times each year, in May, August and December. Degrees are recognized at the annual commencement ceremony following the spring semester. Students who complete degree requirements during the prior December or are scheduled to complete in the spring semester are eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony. Students who plan on completing in August are eligible to participate in the May commencement ceremony only if they are within 12 credits of completion and have a minimum GPA of 2.0. All students must complete a degree application with the Registrar’s Office in order to be eligible to participate in the May commencement ceremony. Degree applications for the May ceremony are generally due to the Registrar’s Office by the beginning of February.  To print a copy of the degree application form, click here.

Notwithstanding the foregoing and the successful completion of all academic requirements, a student may not be entitled to participate in commencement exercises and/or receive a diploma if he/she is involved in any disciplinary proceedings, and is sanctioned as such.

Credit By Examination Programs Policy

   ^ Top

The College awards credit to fulfill degree requirements for certain Advanced Placement (AP), DANTES Subject Standardized Test, and College- Level Examination Program (CLEP) standardized examinations. Credits awarded for examinations do not qualify for residency credit.

Credit will not be awarded for any course previously taken at the College with an unsatisfactory grade. Credits awarded for acceptable examination scores will be assigned a “P” (pass) grade. For a list of current AP, CLEP, and DSST examinations approved for Springfield College credit, contact the Academic Advising Center or the Office of Admissions.

Advanced Placement Credit Guidelines
The College awards credits for Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and examinations which have been approved as comparable to Springfield College courses or to college-level electives. In order to be approved, the director of academic advising (or designee) and the department chair relative to the course and examination in question, must determine the passing score, the actual course equivalency, and the number of semester hours awarded.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and DANTES Subject Standardized Test Guidelines
The College awards credits for certain CLEP and DANTES examinations which have been approved as measuring achievement comparable to specific Springfield College courses. In order to be approved, the director of academic advising (or designee) and the department chair relative to the course equivalency in question, must determine the passing score, the actual course equivalency, and the number of semester hours awarded.

Cross-Registration Between the School of Professional and Continuing Studies and Traditional Undergraduate School

   ^ Top

Upon meeting the following conditions, traditional Springfield College students are eligible to register for a class offered by the School of Professional and Continuing Studies through the course cross-registration process.

  1. Prior approval of course cross-registration must be secured using the Springfield College Cross-Registration Form.
  2. Students must fulfill course prerequisites, if any, prior to course cross-registration.
  3. Undergraduate General Education Requirements may not be met through course cross-registration.
  4. Undergraduate students are eligible to cross-register for undergraduate courses only.
  5. Course cross-registration is limited to one course per semester, with a maximum course limit of three.
  6. Course cross-registration is allowed only in those courses where space is available.
  7. Course cross-registration is not allowed during Intersession and Summer Sessions (May term for the School of Professional and Continuing Studies.)
  8. Tuition charge for a cross-registration course is based on the rate applicable to the individual’s degree program.

Dean’s List

   ^ Top

The Dean’s List is published two times a year; in January, following completion of the fall semester, and in June, following completion of the spring semester.

The criteria for selection to the Dean’s List are as follows:

  1. The student must have completed a minimum of twelve credit hours of graded coursework for the semester, exclusive of “P” grades.
  2. The student must not have any incompletes, missing grades or “CP”s in the designated semester.
  3. The student must have a minimum semester grade point average of 3.500 for the semester.
  4. The student must not have been barred from the Dean’s List due to a disciplinary action.

If subsequent grade changes qualify a student for Dean’s List honors for a previous semester, that designation will be reflected on the student’s transcript.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, even if all academic requirements for the Dean’s List have been met, a student may be sanctioned pursuant to the student disciplinary policy which may prevent the awarding of Dean’s List credentials.

Degrees Offered

   ^ Top

Under the College’s charter, degree programs leading to a bachelor of arts (B.A.), and a bachelor of science (B.S.) are available on the undergraduate level.

The College also offers graduate programs leading to a master of science (M.S.), master of education (M.Ed.), master of physical education (M.P.E.), master of social work (M.S.W.), master of business administration (M.B.A.), certificate of advanced graduate study(C.A.G.S.), doctor of philosophy in physical education (Ph.D.), a doctor of physical therapy (D.P.T.), and a doctor of psychology (PsyD).

Honorary degrees are granted in limited number by the Board of Trustees to recognize preeminent achievement in the fields for which the College is noted.

Posthumous Degrees Offered
Pending approval of the Vice President of Academic Affairs and the Vice President of Student Affairs, Springfield College may award an undergraduate degree posthumously.  The deceased student must have achieved senior level standing (minimum of 90 credits), and must have been in good academic standing (minimum 2.000 cumulative GPA). The posthumous nature of the degree will be indicated on the student’s official transcript.

Degree Requirements - Undergraduate Level

   ^ Top

(Department requirements may vary. See specific major requirements within department.)

In order to complete a baccalaureate degree at Springfield College, an undergraduate student must complete the following requirements:

  1. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.000. (Specific major programs may require a higher GPA.)
  2. Successful completion of 120 semester hours
  3. Successful completion of the General Education Curriculum
  4. Successful completion of all requirements for the declared major
  5. Fulfillment of residency requirement

Even if all of the foregoing requirements for a Baccalaureate Degree have been met, the sanctioning of a student pursuant to the Student Disciplinary Policy may prevent the awarding of such a degree.

Distribution of Undergraduate Credits

   ^ Top

The minimum credits required for a baccalaureate degree are generally distributed among the General Education Curriculum; the requirements for a major; and electives (inclusive of requirements for a minor), if applicable. Students majoring in certain programs may have additional requirements that decrease the number of electives in their program and/or increase their credit requirements for graduation.

Grades and Grading

   ^ Top

Students’ work will be evaluated by faculty members and course grades assigned. Examinations, written papers, oral assignments, and/or fieldwork may constitute the basis for the grade awarded in class. Faculty members generally outline the details for determining grades on the course syllabus. Often, any weighted factors for assignments will be outlined in the syllabus.

Grade points are assigned to each grade and used in the calculation of the student’s GPA for the semester’s work or cumulative average. The grades and point values are as follows:

Grade Equivalencies   Grade Points

A (Exceptional)
B (Good)
C (Fair)
D (Passing)
D- (Lowest Passing)
F (Failure)
P (Pass, C- or better)





I (Incomplete) X (Audit) W (Withdrawal) NR (Grade not reported by faculty) IP (Course in progress) CP (Credit pending)

Faculty have sole responsibility for awarding all grades except CP, IP, W, X, and NR.

Audit Policy

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students may audit one undergraduate course per semester on a space-available basis. The same tuition charges per credit hour apply to audited courses as credited courses. Students are expected to attend classes but are not required to complete course assignments or take exams. Students may add a course they intend to audit on-line, but to properly record it as an audit, they must submit a paper registration form to the Registrar’s Office, indicating their intent to audit the course.  Students may change from credit to audit status in a course through the end of the withdrawal period for that course.  Students may change from audit to credit status through the end of the add period, or, with the instructor’s permission, through the end of the withdrawal period for that course.

An audit carries no credit, has no grade point equivalent, and is recorded as an X on the transcript. Although the course is entered onto a transcript and the student is billed as if it carries credit, it does not affect a student’s full- or part-time status. Proficiency credit or credit by examination will not be given for courses previously audited.

Credit Pending Grade

   ^ Top

The designation of “CP” (Credit Pending) is given only in courses in which work extends beyond the end of the semester; use of “CP” must be approved in advance by the Department Chair or Campus Director, and the Registrar. Courses eligible for “CP” include independent study, dissertation, thesis, research or courses designed to extend beyond the end of a typical semester. The designation of “CP” does not affect the GPA calculation. In order for a student to graduate a “CP” designation must be converted to a grade.

Incomplete Grade Policy

   ^ Top

A student may request from the instructor a grade of incomplete (I) in situations where exceptional circumstances beyond his or her control (such as incapacitating illness or a death in the family) prevent him or her from completing course requirements. In order to be eligible for an incomplete, the student must have completed the majority of the coursework (e.g., 75 percent or more) with passing grades. The decision to grant an incomplete is at the discretion of the instructor. If he or she agrees, a Contract for Incomplete Grade must be completed and submitted to the Registrar. The contract will specify what the student must complete and by when (no later than the conclusion of the next term - see deadline for grade submission below).

The faculty must submit a final grade to the Registrar’s Office by the last day to submit grades in the term following the term in which the incomplete grade (I) was received. If no grade is submitted by that date, the Registrar will automatically change the ‘I’ grade to the alternate final grade designated by the instructor on the contract, or an ‘F’, if an alternate grade is not designated. Of course, all incompletes must be completed, or alternate grades assigned, prior to a student’s graduation.

This policy applies to all students enrolled at Springfield College, effective Fall 1999. It does not affect “I” grades given prior to this date.

Permanent Incomplete Policy

   ^ Top

If a student withdraws from the College or a graduate student’s candidacy period expires with a grade of ‘I’ on his or her record, the grade will be converted by the Registrar’s office to a ‘PI’ (permanent incomplete). This grade is permanent and cannot be changed in the future. Students who withdraw and subsequently apply for readmission to the College must re-register for, and complete, the course in order to earn credit for it.

Pass/Fail Grading

   ^ Top

During their sophomore, junior, and senior years, students may elect to take one course per term on a pass/fail basis. A maximum of 12 credit hours is permitted, excluding courses that are automatically graded on a pass/fail basis. Students wishing to take a course pass/fail must have the instructor’s approval. Pass/fail grading may not be used for the General Education curriculum or for certain courses as restricted by the major. Students wishing to take courses on a pass/fail basis must petition the Office of the Registrar at the time of course registration. Grades for approved pass/fail courses cannot be changed to conventional letter grades. Credit for pass/fail courses counts toward attempted hours for academic progress. A grade of “P” (pass), will not affect a student’s GPA; however, a grade of “F” (fail) will affect the GPA.

Grade Changes

   ^ Top

Instructors may not submit grade changes later than one calendar year following the semester or term in which a course was originally graded. This policy is not intended to supercede the academic grievance policy or the policy governing incompletes. Grades can be changed only if a grade was miscalculated or erroneously reported by the faculty member or if an incomplete needs to be changed. A form for grade changes is available in the Office of the Registrar. Only faculty may complete the form and submit it to the Registrar. Students will receive notification of the grade change from the Office of the Registrar via their Springfield College email account.

Graduate Credits as an Undergraduate

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students wishing to take a graduate course (600 level) for credit that will apply to the undergraduate degree may do so with the permission of their major advisor, Department Chair, and the Dean of their school. In order to be eligible, a student must:

  • Have an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better

  • have no more than 15 credit hours of undergraduate requirements to be met in order to complete the requirements for the Bachelor’s degree

  • have no more than 15 credit hours of required undergraduate work remaining, in addition to full-time off-campus fieldwork, that will be done in the following semester.

The Petition for Approval to Take Graduate Courses for Credit While Still an Undergraduate must be approved by the Dean of the School prior to registering for the course. This excludes academic programs whose curricular design combines undergraduate and graduate requirements.

Repeating a Course

   ^ Top

Students may repeat a course in which they have received an unsatisfactory grade. To do so, they register again for the course at SC or for an approved equivalent course at another institution. When a new grade from Springfield College or a “P” from another institution is submitted, the original grade is removed from the calculation of the cumulative GPA. If taken at Springfield College, the new grade, whether higher or lower than the original grade, is used in calculating both the current semester and cumulative GPA.

Credit Hour Definitions

  ^ TOP

Attempted credit hours - include credits for courses graded “A” though “F”, “P”, accepted transfer credits.

Earned credit hours - include credits for courses graded “A” through “D-“, “P”, and accepted transfer credits.

Graded credit hours (used for calculation of GPAs) - include credits for courses graded “A” through “F”.

Calculation of GPA

   ^ Top

GPA is computed by dividing the total grade points earned by the total semester hours attempted. Academic and physical education activity courses are included in this computation.

For example:

Grades (for each course)   Semester Hours   Grade Points   Total Grade Points
A   3   x 4.0   12.00
B   3   x 3.0   9.00
C   3   x 2.0   6.00
D   3   x1.0   3.00
Totals   12       30 (total for all courses)

Calculation: Total grade points divided by total semester hours equals GPA 30 divided by 12 equals 2.500 GPA

Registration and Records

   ^ Top


Change of Major

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students may apply to a new major by meeting with the major’s department chairperson and completing an Application to Change Major/Minor Form, available on line or from the Office of the Registrar. Some majors also require a letter of application. The new major’s department chairperson must approve and sign the application. In addition, the application must be signed by the chairperson of the student’s previous major.

Students must generally be in good academic standing to be admitted into a new major. Some majors require higher GPAs to meet advanced standing standards or satisfactory completion of certain prerequisites. Certain majors are restricted in number and limit the number of new majors accepted. Applying to some majors, including physical therapy, requires a formal application and review process.

Change of Schedule - Add/Drop Period

   ^ Top

Springfield College maintains a five-day add period and a ten-day drop period each semester (excluding summer). During the first five days of each semester, students may make additions/changes to their schedule on-line via PrideNET. If necessary, students may also complete an Add/Drop form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office within the acceptable time period. Student’s must have received registration clearance from their advisor before making changes to their schedule. After the five-day add period, students may not make additions to their academic schedules. Students are urged to refer to the Academic Schedule each semester for more specific information.

During the first ten days of the semester, students may drop a course they have registered for. Students may make additions/changes to their schedule on-line via PrideNET or an Add/Drop Form which must be completed and brought to the Registrar’s Office. After the ten-day drop period, with the exception of physical education activities, students may, with the approval of their advisor and course instructor, withdraw (receive a grade of W) from a course anytime up to a point at which eighty percent of the course is completed (twelve weeks in a fifteen-week semester. Refer to the applicable academic calendar available on the Registrar’s Office web page). Exceptions to the withdrawal deadline can be made only by the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Cooperating College Credit

   ^ Top

Springfield College (SC), in cooperation with seven of the area’s finest public and private institutions, has established a cooperative association that has been specifically designed to enhance the educational experience through the use of cooperative programs and services, including cross registration, student-faculty inter-college library privileges, joint student activities, academic cooperation, and student activity calendars.

Known as the Cooperating Colleges of Greater Springfield (CCGS), the association was formed in 1970 by the presidents of each of the charter institutions. The other members are American International College, Bay Path College, Elms College, Holyoke Community College, Springfield Technical Community College, Western New England University, and Westfield State University.

Springfield College undergraduate students may, with approval, enroll for cooperating college credit at any of the CCGS institutions in courses not offered in the curricula of Springfield College. Cooperating college credit is not available for internships and graduate courses. Students are limited to two courses or 6-8 credits per semester.

In Fall or Spring semesters: Students must be registered as full-time (combination of SC and cooperating college courses must total at least 12 credit hours) and complete CCGS cross-registration paperwork prior to taking the course. Tuition costs for courses taken for cooperating college credit are paid by student’s home college. (Note that additional course fees may apply). Grades for completed coursework are submitted to the SC Registrar by the CCGS institution. These grades are reflected on the SC transcript. Credit hours are applied as SC residential credit.

In Summer: Cooperating college credit (CCGS cross-registration) is not available during summer sessions. Students wishing to take a course at a CCGS institution during the summer should follow the procedure for obtaining transfer credit approval. Upon completion of coursework, students must request an official transcript be sent to the SC Registrar. Grades are not recorded on the SC transcript and hours are not applied as SC residential credit.

Exiting the College

   ^ Top

An undergraduate student who wishes to take a leave of absence or to fully withdraw from the college must contact the academic advising Center to complete a Leave of Absence/Withdrawal Request form. If the request is granted and processed:

  • During the first 30 days of classes, the Registrar will drop all in progress courses from student’s record.
  • After the first 10 days of classes, the Registrar will issue a grade of W for all in progress courses.
  • At the close of the semester, the Registrar will drop all courses for the next semester.

In accordance with the college refund policy, a student withdraws takes leave of absence may be eligible for partial refunds of tuition and fees.

Leave of Absence:

If a student wishes to temporarily exit college, he or she may request a leave of absence. If grant, a leave allows the student to reenroll within two full semesters.   A student who wishes to return from a leave should contact the Academic Advising Center to request a permit to register. He or she may also contact the Academic Advising Center to request a leave extension.

Withdrawing from the College:

If a student wishes to permanently exit the college, he or she should request a full withdrawal. Once withdrawn, if the student wishes to return to Springfield College, he/she must contact the Admissions Office to apply for readmission.

Students who do not enroll for two consecutive semesters, and do not file a leave-of-absence, will be subject to administrative withdrawal.

Nonmatriculated Student Status

   ^ Top

Undergraduate courses are open to students who have earned a high school degree or GED. Students must have completed any prerequisites listed for courses for which they intend to register. Students may take classes for personal enrichment or as exploration for possible degree admissions. Nonmatriculated students may not attempt more than thirty credit hours before applying for admittance.  Further courses taken as a nonmatriculated student will require permission of the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Registration and Change of Schedule Requests

   ^ Top

Students are not permitted to attend a course for which they are not officially registered.  Any student attempting to do so will not receive credit or grades for their work. The registration of all students is conducted under the direction of the registrar, according to the schedule of classes for the College year. The official registration records are compiled and administered in the Office of the Registrar. All full-time undergraduate and graduate students may register for courses on-line via PrideNet according to specific times and dates as communicated by the Registrar’s Office. The registrar publishes, in advance of each registration, specific instructions regarding procedures. Students who fail to register by the registration deadline may be required to pay a late-registration fee. Courses with low enrollments are subject to cancellation. Not all courses listed in the course description section of the Catalogs are offered each semester.

All students are expected to carry between twelve and fifteen semester hours of academic work per semester and may qualify as full-time students with twelve hours.

Authorization forms must be presented at the time of registration for all Courses by Arrangement.

Students who wish to register for twenty-one semester hours or more must have the complete a petition with the written approval of their advisor and the dean of the school in which their major resides.

Students who do not enroll for two consecutive semesters, and do not file a leave-of-absence, will be subject to administrative withdrawal.

If a student, once withdrawn, wishes to return to Springfield College as a matriculated student, he or she must apply for re-admission.

Second Bachelor’s Degree

   ^ Top

Individuals may be eligible to obtain a second bachelor’s degree from Springfield College. Whether or not a student’s first bachelor’s degree was earned at Springfield College, the following policy applies:

  1. Students must apply to the Office of Admissions for admittance into a specific major as a second bachelor’s degree applicant.
  2. All students applying as a second bachelor’s degree candidate must have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university.
  3. All students admitted to Springfield College for a second bachelor’s degree will be exempt from the Springfield College General Education requirements.
  4. In order to receive the second bachelor’s degree from SC, students must complete all requirements for the new major, and meet the institutional grade point average requirements for a bachelor’s degree.
  5. Second bachelor’s degree students must complete a minimum residency requirement of 30 semester hours for the second major, including a minimum of 15 credits within the major area of study.

Student Records

   ^ Top

Springfield College will maintain student confidentiality rights and protect access to information as provided by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Except as provided by law, information from a student’s records will not be released without the prior written consent of the student. This legislation also provides numerous exceptions whereby the College may release information without prior notice and/or consent of the student, including, but not limited to, the following:

  1. Directory information may be provided unless a student has filed a written request to withhold this information. Students must advise the Office of the Registrar in writing no later than September 15 of each academic year if they wish to restrict the release of this information. Springfield College considers the following information as “directory information”: name, campus mailbox, campus phone number, enrollment status, dates of attendance at the College, major, credit hours earned, degrees earned, honors received.
  2. Information may be shared with and by Springfield College faculty and staff who have a legitimate educational interest in the student.
  3. Academic information may be shared with parents of students who complete an authorization to release academic records information, or if parents provide the Registrar with an annual copy of their federal income tax return documenting the student as a dependent.

Any request for information regarding current or former students academic records must be directed to the Registrar.

Students retain the right to review the contents of their educational and academic records. In order to do so, a formal written request must be made through the Office of the Registrar. In such cases, a meeting will be established within forty-five days of the request to permit the student to review materials. Springfield College will comply with a written request initiated by the student to supply information in their behalf. Such requests must be signed and dated and include the specific records or information to be disclosed, the purpose for the disclosure, and the individual(s) to whom the information should be released. Details concerning FERPA are available at the Office of the Dean of Students and the Office of the Registrar.

Transcript of Academic Work

   ^ Top

Students may obtain student-issued, unofficial copies of their academic transcripts for the duration of study at Springfield College. Applications for these transcripts are made in writing to the Office of the Registrar.

A $6 fee is charged for transcripts requested to be officially sent to a third party. Official transcript requests must include name and address of the official to whom the information is to be mailed, along with a student’s signature as permission to release a record.

Official transcripts, bearing the College seal, are sent by the registrar directly to the receiver and may not be transmitted by the applicant. Ordinarily, transcript requests will be processed and mailed within ten days of the written request.

Currently enrolled students; non-enrolled students; students who have been separated, dismissed, suspended, expelled, disciplined, withdrawn, or were on a leave of absence may not obtain an official transcript, access to registration for courses, selection of a residence hall room, and/or a diploma if their accounts are not paid in full, as and when due.

Withdrawal Policy From a Course

   ^ Top

Students, with the permission of their advisors and course instructors, may withdraw from a course at any time up to the point at which eighty percent of the course is completed by completing and submiting a Course Withdrawal form. The end of the twelfth week is the last day to withdraw from a course that meets the entire semester. Refer to the academic calendar posted on the Registrar’s Office web page for exact dates.

After that date, a student must receive approval of the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs to withdraw from a course or courses.  Approval will only be granted for documented medical or other extraordinary circumstances.  In all other cases, the student will receive the grade earned in the course.

Residency Credit Requirement

   ^ Top

In order to receive a baccalaureate degree, undergraduate students in the School of Arts, Sciences, and Professional Studies; the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation; the School of Health Sciences and Rehabilitation Studies; or interdisciplinary programs, must complete at least 60 credit hours through Springfield College. During a student’s last two semesters (or 30 credit hours), 15 credits must be completed through Springfield College. In addition, some departments may have specific residency requirements related to their programs.

Residency credit includes approved courses taken for cooperating college credit and certain study-abroad programs sponsored by the College. Residency credit does not include transfer credit (including CCGS courses not approved for cooperating college credit), credit-by-examination, portfolio credits, or prior learning credits.

Study Abroad

   ^ Top

As an integral component of our undergraduate curriculum, Springfield College offers students opportunities to study abroad. Students may elect to attend one of our partner universities or to arrange study at another institution. Each partner university for study abroad is unique and offers Springfield College students an opportunity to select courses that may satisfy major, minor, electives, or courses that will fulfill the General Education curriculum at Springfield College. All courses must be pre-approved by the Academic Advising office and academic advisors.

Students who wish to participate in a semester of study abroad at a partner university must have an overall GPA of 3.0, full-time undergraduate enrollment, and an excellent citizenship record. Individual institutions may have further requirements.

Students who meet the requirements of, apply to, and are accepted at one of Springfield College’s partnership schools may qualify to have a portion of their financial aid applied to their semester abroad.

Study Abroad Grading Policy and Procedure

Grading for Courses Completed at Partnership Programs

  1. Grades received from a partnership university will be considered attempted credit hours, and recorded and averaged into student’s GPA.
  2. Any student completing a semester abroad at a partner university may elect pass/fail grading for one course taken overseas. If a student selects this option, he/she will designate the one pass/fail course upon return from the semester abroad and Springfield College’s receipt of the transcript from the partner university. As an exception to the pass/fail grading policy, the one course designated as pass/fail and completed in study abroad through a partner university may be applied towards meeting a General Education requirement.
  3. All credits earned at our partner universities will be considered resident credits and applied toward graduation.
  4. Name of partner university, exact study abroad course titles, Springfield College course equivalencies and waivers will appear on a transcript.
  •  Note: In order to receive 3 credits through the study abroad experience for the International/Multicultural Studies area of the General Education Program, students must:
  1. Participate and successfully complete studying abroad at one of Springfield College’s semester long, partner programs;
  2. register for, and pass, at least one course in cultural studies at the host university.  The content of this course will focus on the aspects of the host culture and its people, e.g., literature, art, music, history, sports, etc.
  3. receive pre-approval from the Academic Advising Office for the selected course as meeting the international component of the requirement;
  4. participate in pre-departure and re-entry programming administered by the International Center.

Credit for this area will not be awarded until students complete all of the above requirements.  All other requirements for studying abroad that are part of the application process must also be met.

Students who study abroad at a non-partner foreign institution may petition to receive credit for this option in Category 4 (international / Multicultural Studies) of the General Education Program.

Grading for Courses Completed at Other Overseas Universities

Grades from study abroad with a non-partner institution will follow Springfield College’s policy for transfer credits.

For more information about study abroad programs and options, you may also click here to go to the Study Abroad Programs home page.

Transfer Credit Policy

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students enrolled in, or enrolling into, the School of Arts, Sciences, and Professional Studies; the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation; the School of Health Sciences and Rehabilitation Studies; and the Undeclared and General Studies majors are required to complete a minimum of 60 credit hours through Springfield College in order to fulfill the residency requirement. The remaining semester hours required to complete their undergraduate degree may be transferred in from other institutions or completed at the College.

In order to be accepted for transfer credit, courses must be:

  1. completed at a regionally accredited institution of higher education. (Regional accrediting bodies are NEASC, MSACS, NCACS, NWASC, SACS, and WASC);
  2. graded as a C- or better (grades of P (pass) will only be accepted if there is documentation that the P is equivalent to a C- or better);
  3. courses completed 10 or more years before the student’s matriculation at Springfield College may be subject to further review by appropriate academic faculty prior to final approval.

In addition, a course accepted for transfer credit must satisfy one of the following conditions:

  1. To meet General Education requirements: Transfer courses must be equivalent to a specific SC course that fulfills a general education category requirement. General Education competencies that are embedded cannot be satisfied with transfer credit.
  2. To meet Major requirements: Transfer courses must be equivalent to a specific SC course that fulfills a major requirement. These courses must be approved by the chairperson of the major department. The chairperson may accept coursework not offered by the College if it is judged applicable to major requirements.
  3. To meet elective requirements: Courses used for general elective credit need not be equivalent to Springfield College courses, and will be applied as elective requirements permit. In the case of minors or teacher preparation courses, they must be approved by the chairperson of the relevant departments.
  • Springfield College does not grant transfer credit for the following work completed at or assessed by other colleges: college-based credit by exam or challenge, correspondence courses, portfolio assessment, independent study, fieldwork, or cooperative education experience.

  • Credit for CLEP, AP, IB and DANTES examinations are assessed consistent with relevant College policy. Credit for armed services experience or employer training programs is assessed by the Registrar’s Office based on American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines. Original documentation related to such coursework must be presented.

  • Courses accepted for transfer credit will be listed on the student’s transcript with a designation of “TR,” the number of semester hours awarded, the name of the institution where the course was taken, and the number and title of the equivalent Springfield College course. For direct equivalencies, courses will be transferred in with the Springfield College credit value. If there is no direct equivalent, it will be designated as an elective with the most closely associated academic program prefix. Grades received for transfer courses are not indicated on the Springfield College record, and the grades and related quality points are not calculated in the semester or cumulative grade point averages. However, transfer credits awarded do contribute toward students’ totals of cumulative earned and attempted hours.

  • If a student with transfer credit changes his/her major or minor after enrolling at the College, their transfer credits and previous transcripts will be reevaluated by the Registrar’s Office to determine if any adjustment is necessary.

  • For incoming transfer students 0.5 credit hours of required activity courses will be waived for every 15 credit hours of accepted transfer credit.

  • Students who matriculate into Springfield College with an A.A. or A.S. degree earned within the previous 10 years from an accredited institution that required a sequence of General Education courses will be considered to have fulfilled all Springfield College General Education requirements, excluding the embedded competencies. Such students will receive a minimum of 60 transfer credits from Springfield College. The transcripts of students who earned A.A. or A.S. degrees prior to 10 years from their matriculation into Springfield College will be reviewed to determine if credits will be awarded.

IB Policy for Springfield College    ^ Top

The College awards credits for International Baccalaureate (IB) coursework which has been approved as comparable to Springfield College courses or to college-level electives.  In order to be approved, the director of academic advising (or designee) and the department chair relative to the course in question, must determine the passing score, the actual course equivalency, and the number of semester hours awarded.  Only Higher Level (HL) coursework with scores of 4 or higher are considered for credit.  Copies of course syllabi may be required for consideration for course-specific credit.

Transfer Credit for continuing students  ^ Top

  1. Currently enrolled students wishing to transfer credits to the College should submit the completed Transfer Credit Approval Form to the Academic Advising Office for approval, prior to taking courses at another institution. This form is available in the Office of the Registrar or on-line at the SC homepage of the Registrar. Requests for approval may also be submitted via fax or e-mail, if necessary. A course catalog, official course description, or course syllabus may be needed to appropriately assess the course.
    1. Courses intended to fulfill major or minor requirements require the approval of the chairperson of the major or minor department and the Academic Advising Office. The chairperson of that department may also require the student to obtain the approval of the chairperson of the department in which the course is offered.
    2. Courses intended to fulfill electives or General Education Requirements require approval of the Academic Advising Office; in some cases that office may need to consult with relevant department chairs or faculty before granting approval.
    3. Failure to obtain appropriate approvals, in writing, prior to taking a course at another institution may preclude awarding of credit.
  2. Courses accepted for transfer credit will be listed on a student’s transcript with a designation of “TR,” the number of credit hours awarded, the name of the institution where the course was taken, and the number and title of the equivalent Springfield College course.
    1. Grades received for transfer courses are not indicated on the Springfield College record, and the grades and related quality points are not calculated in the semester or cumulative grade point averages. However, transfer credits awarded do contribute toward students’ totals of cumulative earned and attempted hours.
    2. If the approved transfer course is a repeat of a previously taken course, and it has now been passed with a C- or better, credit will be awarded. The original grade for the course will remain on the record but it is removed from the calculation of the cumulative grade point average. The new grade is not recorded and will not otherwise impact the grade point average.