Jan 29, 2023
(18 semester hours)
Many of the courses required for minors may also fulfill or partially fulfill
a General Education category. For more information, see the General Education
Requirements section. Some courses required for minors may also satisfy courses
required for majors. Students pursuing a minor should notify and consult with
the appropriate department chair and complete the appropriate paperwork with the
Registrar’s Office so that it can be noted on the transcript.
To receive a minor in Spanish, students must participate in Springfield College’s
Study Abroad Program at Alcalingua, Universidad de Alcala de Henares (Madrid),
Spain. All 18 semester hours are taken at Alcalingua. This program is offered
during the spring semester only. Upon successful completion of this program, participants
satisfy the following five General Education categories: Literature, Visual and
Performing Arts, Philosophy, Social Science, and Social Justice.
Prerequisites for this minor are:
- Successful completion of the fourth semester of college-level Spanish, or permission
of the program director.
- Placement at Level 3 or higher in the placement exam given at Alcalingua.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher; a GPA of 3.00 or higher in all Spanish courses.
Required courses (taken at Alcalingua):
- Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition Credits: 3 s.h.
- Advanced Spanish Conversation and Phonetics Credits: 3 s.h.
- 20th Century Spanish Literature Credits: 3 s.h.
- History of Spanish Art Credits: 3 s.h.
- History of 19th and early 20th Century Spain Credits: 3 s.h.
Select one of the following courses (also taken at Alcalingua):
- Introduction to Economy of Spain Credits: 3 s.h.
- History of Spanish Cinema Credits: 3 s.h.