Jul 06, 2022  
2005-2006 Springfield College Undergraduate Catalog 
2005-2006 Springfield College Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies

Academic life at Springfield College is governed by a series of policies and regulations that insure consistency and permit fairness to all students. These policies are under the auspices of the Office of Academic Affairs and can be found in the Springfield College undergraduate and graduate catalogs. They are managed by the Office of the Registrar which is responsible for preparing class schedules, enrolling students in courses, and compiling and maintaining grade reports and records. Students transcripts and certifying eligibility for loans takes place at the Office of the Registrar, which is located on the first floor of the Administration Building.

Academic policies apply to all students enrolled for the current academic year. Specific program requirements and course descriptions apply to entering matriculated students for the duration of their enrollment as degree seeking students.

This document contains information about the following topics:


Academic Advising

   ^ Top

Academic advising is considered an integral part of a students academic experience. Prior to beginning their first semester, all matriculated (degree-seeking) students are assigned an academic advisor, generally a faculty member in the students major. The academic advisor and the student will work together to evaluate the students educational development, select appropriate courses of study, and attempt to meet the students educational goals. Advisors are available to guide and support students, but it is the responsibility of each student to be familiar with academic policies and programs and to assume responsibility for his or her academic program.

Undeclared majors are advised through the Academic Advising Office. When a student is accepted into a new major, a new academic advisor will generally be assigned by the chairperson of the students new major.

Students must consult with their academic advisor before registering for courses or making changes to their academic schedule. Advisor approval is required on all course requests and change-of-schedule forms.

Academic Credit

   ^ Top

The unit of measure for student progress at Springfield College is the “semester hour.” One semester hour is generally equated with one hour of lecture each week through the duration of one fifteen-week semester.

Academic Grievance Policy

   ^ Top

If a student believes that she or he has been treated unfairly in his or her academic work (grade, departmental/program standards, etc.), the student has the right to seek resolution of the concern through informal and formal processes. At any step in the process, the student may consult with his or her academic advisor or any other faculty or staff member or advice.

Step 1 (informal process):
Within 30 calendar days of the disputed action, the student must raise the concern with the instructor or appropriate party. The instructor or other party should respond to the student regarding this concern within 14 calendar days. (If the 30 days are interrupted by the close of a term or semester break, the remaining days will extend into the beginning of the following term or semester. In situations in which the instructor is on leave or no longer employed by the College, the student should proceed to Step 2.)

Step 2 (informal process):
If the student and the instructor do not agree to a resolution, the student has 14 calendar days from the instructors response to raise the concern with the chairperson of the department in which the grievance occurred or the campus director. The chairperson or campus director should respond to the student regarding this concern within 14 calendar days and must notify the instructor of the continuation of the grievance process.

Step 3 (formal process, if needed):
If accord is not yet reached through the steps above, the student may file a written grievance using the Academic Grievance Form. The grievance form must be submitted to the dean of the school in which the grievance occurred within 14 days following the chairperson or campus director’s response to the student. Upon receipt of the form, the school dean will conduct whatever review is needed to arrive at a resolution, including, if necessary, a meeting with the student and instructor. The dean will notify all parties involved in writing of her or his decision and any subsequent actions. The decision of the school dean regarding the grievance is final.

Note: A student should also use this process to resolve a dispute with a department, program coordinator, department committee, etc. In such a case, the student should raise the concern with the relevant department chair or campus director within 30 calendar days of the disputed action (extending into the next semester or term if necessary). The chairperson should respond within 14 days. If accord is not reached, the student should proceed to Step 3, filing a written grievance with the appropriate dean within 14 calendar days of the chairperson or campus directors response.

This policy is not intended to supercede the Academic Integrity and Honesty Policy or the Harassment/Discrimination Policy.

Academic Honesty and Integrity Policy

   ^ Top

Springfield College students are expected to be academically honest. Misrepresentation of facts, omissions or falsifications in any connection with the academic process (including both course work and official college documents) are violations of the Academic Honesty and Integrity Policy, hereafter referred to as the Policy.

Students are urged to consider that the public value of their education depends on the integrity of the grading system, and that academic dishonesty in any form dilutes the value of those grades. The Policy is not intended to diminish collegiality at Springfield College. All of us learn from our colleagues and education is a cooperative enterprise. Simple justice requires, however, that students receive the quantity and quality of academic credit they have earned. Justice of this sort is compatible with the community values and shared experiences on which a liberal education is based. If students know of fellow students who are cheating, or taking unfair advantage of policies or procedures, they should bring that to the attention of the course instructor and/or Dean of Students, (anonymously, if they wish).

Misunderstanding the Policy will not be accepted as an excuse for dishonest work. If a student is in doubt on some points as they affect work in a particular course or as they may be interpreted in practice, he or she should consult with the instructor in the course or the dean of the school in which the course is offered, so as to avoid the serious charge of academic dishonesty.

Academic achievement is generally evaluated on the basis of completed “Exercises” (defined hereinafter) that a student produces independently. Obtaining credit for work, words, or ideas which are not the products of a student’s own effort is dishonest. Such dishonesty undermines the integrity of the academic standards of the College. Consequences of violating the Academic Honesty and Integrity Policy entail penalties ranging from failing an exercise to failing a course, reprimand, suspension, dismissal, expulsion from the College, forfeiture of a diploma and/or legal action. This Policy also applies to alumni, insofar as it relates to Springfield College transcripts and other records of work at Springfield College.

Basic Policy

   ^ Top

A students name on any “Exercise(s)”, which term shall include, but not be limited to, a theme, oral report, notebook, report, computer program, course paper, quiz, examination or any other assignment related to a course or internship thereto, is regarded as assurance that the exercise is the result of the student’s own thoughts and study, stated in his or her own words, and produced without assistance, except as quotation marks, references, and footnotes acknowledge the use of printed sources or other outside help. In some instances an instructor or department may authorize students to work jointly in solving problems or completing projects. Such efforts must be clearly marked as the results of collaboration. Where collaboration is authorized, students should make sure that they understand which parts of any assignment must be performed independently. Students are not allowed to present the same “Exercise” previously or concurrently completed for another course, without the permission of the instructor(s) of the current course(s) in question. Students who perceive the possibility of an overlapping assignment should consult with their instructors before presuming that a single effort will meet the requirements of both courses.

Offenses Against The Policy

   ^ Top

Use of Sources
In preparing assignments a student often needs or is required to employ outside sources of information or opinion. All such sources should be listed in the bibliography/reference section.

For citations, references in text are required for all specific facts which are not common knowledge and which do not obtain general agreement. New discoveries or debatable opinions must be credited to the source with specific references to edition, page, or web page even when the student restates the matter in his or her own words. Word-for-word, including any part, even if only a phrase or sentence, from the written or oral statement of someone else (including the internet) requires citation in quotation marks and using the appropriate conventions for attribution. Paraphrasing or summarizing the contents of anothers work is not dishonest if the source or sources are clearly identified (author, title, edition, page), but such paraphrasing does not constitute independent work and may be rejected by the instructor.

Laboratory Work and Assignments
Notebooks, homework, and reports of investigations or experiments must meet the same standards as all other written work. If any of the work is done jointly or if any part of the experiment or analysis is made by anyone other than the writer, acknowledgment of this fact must be made in the report submitted. It is dishonest for a student to falsify or invent data.

Creative Work
A piece of work presented as the individual creation of the student is assumed to involve no assistance other than incidental criticism from any other person. A student may not knowingly employ artwork, story material, wording or dialogue taken from published work, motion pictures, lectures, World Wide Web or similar media, without full acknowledgment.

Examinations, Quizzes, and Tests
In writing examinations and quizzes, the student is required to respond entirely on the basis of his or her own memory and capacity, without any assistance whatsoever except such as is specifically authorized by the instructor.

Cheating on examinations and quizzes can take many forms including, but not limited to, using another individual to take an examination in one’s place, bringing into the exam room unauthorized materials from which one gains assistance, appropriating an exam or exam materials without authorization, purposely missing an exam in order to gain an advantage, copying during an examination, improper collaboration or unauthorized assistance on take-home examinations, or other actions that undermine equity and reduce the objectivity of evaluation of student work.

Students involved in community projects, practica, independent studies, or fieldwork experiences related to their academic program should be aware that their behavior is a reflection of themselves and the College; their behavior related to such experiences should be appropriate and professional and is subject to this Policy. Violations of this Policy in such circumstances include, but are not limited to, misrepresenting oneself, misrepresenting the College, misusing a position of authority, or failure to honestly report the results of their experience or research.

College Documents
Any misuse of official College documents connected with the academic process constitutes a violation of the Policy. Such documents include, but are not limited to registration cards, change of schedule forms, applications to change majors, grade report forms, applications for internships or fieldwork, and transcripts. Misuse of such documents includes, but is not limited to, unauthorized alteration of a form, forging of signatures, or misrepresentation of personal or academic information requested. Violations of the Academic Honesty and Integrity Policy that fall under the paragraph entitled “College Documents”, including but not limited to forging an advisor’s signature on a registration form, should be considered an offense against the College rather than a course-related offense involving a specific instructor. As such, the procedure to be followed is described in the third paragraph under the heading “Procedure”, i.e. the matter should be referred to the Dean of Students for further disciplinary action.

Other Offenses Against The Academic Policy
In addition to fraudulent uses of sources as described above, dishonesty includes a number of offenses that circumvent procedures set up to produce a fair grade. The use of services of commercial “research” companies is cheating and a punishable offense. Any falsification of records or routines for grading is dishonest, whether before or after graduation. Gaining access to a recommendation (without permission) once rights have been waived is a violation of the Policy. Withholding, removing or destroying materials needed by other students for class exercises is as much an offense against the Policy as is plagiarism. Lying in the course of an investigation or a hearing pursuant to the Policy shall also be deemed a violation of this Policy.

Students should be scrupulous in learning the principles that govern each new area of computer operations to which they are introduced. Unauthorized collaboration, unauthorized borrowing of someone else’s data or programs, and use of the Springfield College computer for unethical purposes and/or other purposes, which violate any of the terms of this Policy, are a violation of this Policy and are subject to disciplinary and/or legal action.


   ^ Top

All cases of suspected academic dishonesty shall be referred to the instructor of the course in which the offense occurred. The person alleging a violation of the Policy shall provide copies of the work in question to the instructor and indicate clearly the nature of the alleged violation in an accompanying narrative. In cases of plagiarism, the person making the charge shall provide copies of original sources, if available, marking plagiarized phrases, sentences, and/or paragraphs, and shall indicate borrowings in the accuseds text and in original sources. In the case of an examination, the person making the charge shall provide to the instructor copies of the examination in question, indicate specifically the grounds for the charge, and explain his or her process of discovery. Other alleged offenses against the Policy should be documented with equal thoroughness and in equal detail.

The instructor is expected to meet with the student and if applicable, sanction the student with respect to the course work for which the instructor is responsible, as provided in I, II, or III below. If assistance with the investigation is needed, the instructor may consult with or refer the matter to the Dean of Students or his/her designee. If the instructor determines that the student has violated the Policy, the sanction (I, II, or III) shall be assessed to the offender and that decision will be conveyed to the student in a letter from the instructor. The student will be informed in the letter that he or she has the right to appeal any decisions to the Dean of the School wherein the Policy violation occurred. The appeal must be in writing and include all materials the accused considers relevant, including a narrative clearly outlining the grounds of appeal. The decision of the Dean in response to this appeal will prevail.

In addition to sanction I, II, or III, the instructor has the option of referring the matter to the Dean of Students or his/her designee to investigate whether further disciplinary action is warranted. The Office of the Dean of Students following a referral to its office may act on the offense pursuant to the Student Judicial Code (the “Code”). The student shall have all rights and remedies as provided in the Code. If the Dean of Students believes that a violation exists, he/she shall have the right to sanction a student in accordance with the Code, which may include, but not be limited to, suspension, dismissal, expulsion, revocation of degree, or legal action.

Course Related Sanctions

   ^ Top

No student may withdraw from a course following an accusation of a violation of this Policy, unless it is determined that no such violation occurred. An instructor is authorized to enact any sanction under I, II, or III, which he/she judges to be appropriate with respect to the course in which the violation occurred.

I. Reprimand
In some cases in which a first offense has been judged to merit a minor penalty, the student will be allowed to repeat the exercise or complete an alternative assignment, as determined by the instructor of the course. Responsibility for evaluation of the students work in the course continues to belong to the instructor of the course. The instructor should keep documentation of the offense and the reprimand.

II. Loss of credit in the exercise
For most offenses the least severe penalty will be loss of credit in the exercise. The student may be required to repeat the exercise or complete an alternative assignment, although credit will not be given. The student will be allowed to continue in the course. The instructor should keep documentation of the offense and the resulting sanction.

III. A grade of “F” in the course
When the offense is sufficiently serious to merit failure in the course, the student will be removed from the course immediately and the instructor will give a grade of “F.” The instructor must write a letter notifying the student of his/her status. A copy of the letter should be sent to the Dean of Students for inclusion in the students permanent file.

Academic Honors

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students whose final cumulative grade point average (GPA) is 3.500 or above and who have completed at least forty-five graded semester hours (exclusive of pass/fail grades) at Springfield College are awarded their degrees with honor according to the following criteria:

  Summa Cum Laude   3.900 to 4.000
  Magna Cum Laude   3.700 to 3.899
  Cum Laude   3.500 to 3.699

The qualifying cumulative GPA shall be determined at the close of the spring semester for May commencement and shall only include students who have completed all degree requirements. Students eligible for academic honors will be announced prior to commencement, and will be recognized at the May commencement ceremony with honor cords. Academic honors shall be noted on diplomas and transcripts.

Academic Progress Policy

   ^ Top

[Note: A revised version of this policy will be in effect in Fall 2006.]

The Academic Progress Policy applies to both full-time and part time matriculated undergraduate students enrolled in the School of Arts, Sciences and Professional Studies; the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation; the School of Health Sciences and Rehabilitation Studies; and interdisciplinary programs at Springfield College. A student is matriculated is he or she received official acceptance into Springfield College through the admissions progress as a degree seeking student.

A matriculated undergraduate student enrolled in the School of Arts, Sciences, and Professional Studies; the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation; the School of Health Sciences and Rehabilitation Studies; and interdisciplinary programs must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.000 to graduate from Springfield College. The 2.000 cumulative is the minimum standard for the College; academic department may have higher standards for entrance into or continuation in their programs. Students must verify program standards with their department chair.

Standard Academic Progress

   ^ Top

In order to be considered a full time student at Springfield College, a Student must enroll in at least 12 credit hours in a semester. Full time students are expected to earn a minimum of 24 credit hours in an academic year, comprising two semesters and a summer. (Specific requirements exist for full-time status for Athletic and Financial Aid eligibility.)

Academic Standing Review

   ^ Top

Following the close of each full semester, the Undergraduate Records Review Committee is responsible for conducting a formal review to determine student academic standing classification. All undergraduate students enrolled in ASPS, HPER, and interdisciplinary programs are subject to Academic Standing Review, according to the criteria listed below.

Academic Standing Criteria

   ^ Top

A student is expected to achieve the College’s minimum cumulative GPA of 2.000 by the time 100 credits of course work have been attempted for completion. Prior to that point the cumulative GPA required is slightly below the standard of 2.000; however the criterion cumulative GPA is increased as students advance through the academic program. There are four minimum cumulative GPAs that students must meet, depending upon the number of credit hours they have attempted (credits attempted for completion include Springfield College courses graded “A” through “F” plus transfer credits that have been accepted by the College). The minimum cumulative GPAs are as follows;

Credit Hours Attempted for Completion   Minimum GPA
After attempting the completion of 0.5-36.5 credits   1.750 GPA
After attempting the completion of 37-69.5 credits   1.850 GPA
After attempting the completion of 70-99.5 credits   1.950 GPA
After attempting the completion of 100+ credits   2.000 GPA

A students cumulative GPA is calculated using the quality points for grades “A” through “F”, received in a Springfield College course, divided by the number of credits a student has attempted for completion at Springfield College. When a student retakes a course, a Springfield College course and/or transfers in an approved replacement, the original Springfield College course is removed from the calculation of cumulative GPA.

Academic Progress status actions (Alert, Warning, Probation, Continued Probation, Off Probation, Return to Good Academic Standing, and Dismissal) go into effect immediately, upon verification of status by the Academic Progress Records Review Committee.

Academic Standing Definitions and Classifications

   ^ Top

Good Academic Standing

   ^ Top

A student whose cumulative GPA is above the minimum standards (as noted above), or who has fallen below those standards for the first time and has received an academic warning, is classified as student who meets the criteria for Good Academic Standing at the College. The student in Good Academic Standing is eligible for financial aid and participation in College activities, if otherwise qualified. A student may need to meet a higher standard for continuation in particular program or major.

Academic Alert

   ^ Top

The Academic Alert is designed to notify the student that he or she is not making continuous progress toward a degree and to encourage that students to seek academic support. A student will receive an academic alert whenever their semester G.P.A. falls below 1.500. A student receiving an academic alert maintains “good academic standing” classification by definition. This action is advisory and will not be recorded on the students academic transcript.

Academic Warning

   ^ Top

At any academic standing review point, a student will be given an academic warning the first time he or she fails to meet the criterion cumulative GPA and the cumulative GPA is above a 1.000.

A student given an academic warning will maintain matriculation status and eligibility for financial aid and participation in College activities, if otherwise qualified. Academic Warning will not be recorded on the students academic transcript. A student will be removed from Academic Warning when he or she has successfully met the appropriate academic standing criterion, through the completion of an incomplete or the removal of an unsatisfactory grade received at Springfield College or by course work transferred from another accredited institution.

Academic Probation

   ^ Top

At any academic standing review point, a student will be placed on academic probation if either of the following conditions is met.

Condition 1:
The student received an Academic Warning in any previous semester and his or her cumulative GPA fails to meet the minimum required cumulative GPA for any subsequent semester. A student meeting this condition will be ineligible for financial aid, but may apply for financial aid probation. Appeals for financial aid probation must be made in writing to the Director of Financial Aid. A student affected by this action will maintain matriculation status.

A student who is placed on probation is not in good academic standing at the College, and may be ineligible for participation in College activities for which good academic standing is a qualifications (e.g. NSO, Resident Assistant, Athletics).

Condition 2:
The student has not previously received an Academic Warning, but his or her cumulative GPA is below 1.000. A student meeting this condition will be ineligible for financial aid, but is encouraged to apply for financial aid probation. Appeals for financial aid probation must be made in writing to the Director Financial Aid. A student affected by this action will maintain matriculation status.

A student who is placed on probation is not in good academic standing and may be ineligible for participation in college activities for which good academic standing is qualification (e.g. NSO, Resident Assistant, Athletics). A student placed on Academic Probation (Condition 1 or 2) does not maintain good academic standing status. This action will be recorded on the student s academic transcript. A student on probation may be required to take certain courses, limit the number of courses taken, or fulfill other conditions specified by the undergraduate records review committee or its designee.

A student will be removed from the Academic probation when his or her cumulative GPA officially meets or exceeds the required academic standing criterion. When a student is removed from academic probation, it will be so noted on the transcript.

Continued Academic Probation

   ^ Top

Upon the Undergraduate Records Review Committees assessment of end of semester grades, a student who was on Academic Probation during the semester of review may be granted an additional semester of probation if the student’s semester GPA shows significant improvement, but his her cumulative GPA remain below the required level. Significant improvement is generally defined as a student earning a semester GPA of at least 2.000 and having met the conditions of his or her probation. The student will be continued on Academic Probation and is subject to the conditions specified above. This action will be recorded on the student’s academic transcript.

A student who is continued on probation does not achieve good academic standing status and may be ineligible for participation in college activities for which good academic standing classification is a qualification (e.g., NSO, Resident Assistant, Athletics).

A student will be removed from Academic Probation when his or her cumulative GPA officially meets or exceeds the required academic standing criterion. When a student is removed from Academic Probation, it will be so noted on the transcript.

Academic Dismissal

   ^ Top

At any academic progress review point, a student who is currently on Academic Probation and whose cumulative GPA fails to meet the minimum required cumulative GPA will be dismissed unless the criteria for Continued Probation are met. This action will be recorded on the students academic transcript. A student who is dismissed may not take courses at Springfield College for two academic semesters following dismissal, but may reapply for admissions thereafter. When the student is readmitted to the College, the student will be placed on academic probation unless he or she had raised her cumulative GPA to equal or exceed the appropriate academic standing criterion through course work transferred from another accredited institution.

Appeal Process

   ^ Top

A student who has been dismissed may appeal the dismissal in person or by letter to the Undergraduate Dismissal Appeals Board. The timeline for the appeal will be specified in the letter of notification. Such an appeal should contain information about circumstances affecting the students academic performance and student’s plans to remedy the situation. If the appeal is granted , the student will be contained on probation and may be required to take certain courses, limit the number of courses taken, or fulfill other conditions specified by the Dismissal Appeals Board or its designee. The appeal will be noted on the students academic transcript.

If the students appeal is not granted, and he or she has reasonable grounds to file a grievance, the student should notify the Vice President for Academic Affairs for his or her desire to grieve the Undergraduate Dismissal Appeal Board’s decision. The notification must be in writing and be postmarked or received within seven days of notification of the Undergraduate Dismissal Appeals Board’s action.

Reasonable grounds for a grievance include:

  • New information acquired regarding the student’s academic standing, not made available to the Dismissal Appeals Board.
  • Procedural irregularities or improper applications of the policy; or,
  • Imposition of an improper or excessive sanction.

If reasonable grounds exist, the Vice President for Academic Affairs will review the student’s appeal and take appropriate action to refer the appeal back to the Undergraduate Dismissal Appeals Board.

Academic Standing

   ^ Top

Definition of Academic Credit Loads Per Semester

  Full-time undergraduate student - Enrolled for twelve or more credit hours
  Half-time undergraduate student - Enrolled for six to eleven and one-half credit hours
  Less-than-half-time undergraduate student - Enrolled for five and one-half or fewer credit hours
  Full-time graduate student - Enrolled for nine or more credit hours
  Half-time graduate student - Enrolled for four and one-half to eight and one-half credit hours
  Less-than-half-time graduate student - Enrolled for fewer than four and one-half credit hours

Undergraduate Classifications

Earned 0 — 30.5 credit hours - FR, First-year student
Earned 31 —  61.5 credit hours - SO, Sophomore
Earned 62 — 92.5 credit hours - JR, Junior
Earned 93 and above credit hours - SR, Senior graduate
All graduate students - GR, Graduate

Determination of Class Year - Classification

A student is considered a matriculated (degree-seeking) student at Springfield College as soon as he or she is officially accepted by the Office of Admissions. Designation of classification is established by the total number of semester hours a student has earned, inclusive of transfer credit awarded. The determination of class year occurs at the time grades are calculated each semester.

Athletics Policy

   ^ Top

Students are permitted to play on one team per season and must maintain full-time undergraduate standing. Additional information on student athletics is available in the Athletics Departments publication of policies and procedures.

Cancellation of Classes

   ^ Top

Cancellation of classes because of inclement weather will be aired on radio stations WHYN, WAQY, WTTT, WNNZ, WHMP, and WMAS, and television stations Channel 22 and Channel 40. Students and faculty are advised to tune in to one of these stations on the morning in question. After 6:00 A.M., students may also call the school closing information line at (413) 748-5999 or refer to the Springfield College Cable TV station, which is aired in campus academic buildings and throughout the residence halls. Generally, if no cancellation is indicated by the 7:00 A.M. media announcements, classes will take place as scheduled.

Catalog Year Policy

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students are responsible to complete the requirements for their major and for graduation that were in place upon their admittance to the College as a matriculated (degree-seeking) student. In certain circumstances, accompanied by approval of the dean of their school, department chairs or SHS campus directors may waive or substitute program requirements. Substitutions or waivers of general college requirements must be approved by the Vice-President for Academic Affairs or designee. All waivers or substitutions must be properly documented with the Registrar.

The College may approve changes to requirements that all students must fulfill, regardless of their date of entry. If a student is readmitted to the College following a withdrawal or dismissal, he or she is responsible to complete the requirements in place on the new matriculation date.

Class Attendance Policy

   ^ Top

Springfield College students are expected to attend all class sessions for which they are registered; they are also responsible for the material covered in each class session and completion of assigned work by the announced due dates. Instructors are responsible to clearly communicate to the students via the syllabus their policies regarding class attendance and make-up work.

Certain situations are recognized as College-excused absences from class, including:

  1. Participation in an athletic activity approved by the athletic director and on file in the dean of students’ office.
  2. Participation in a scheduled curricular or cocurricular activity approved by the appropriate dean or vice-president and on file in the dean of students’ office.
  3. Observation of religious holidays.

Instructors should excuse absences of the above nature if the student follows the guidelines listed below. If possible, the instructor should allow the student to make up the class work or complete an alternative assignment. A student who anticipates absences of this nature:

  • must provide his or her instructors with a list of dates of expected absences by the end of the first week of class and discuss with each instructor the impact of such absences. If the instructor deems that the absences will interfere with the students ability to successfully complete the objectives of the course, the student must seek to reduce the absences or withdraw from the course.
  • should arrange in advance of the absence for make-up of any work that will be missed.
  • should notify the instructor as soon as possible in the event of a sudden change of schedule (for example, participation in a game rescheduled due to rain or joining a team mid-season) and provide documentation if requested. Again, impact of the absence(s) must be discussed with the instructor.

Absences due to illness or emergency:

  • In the event of illness or emergency, notify your professors as soon as possible and discuss your options for obtaining missed material. Leave a voice-mail message or use e-mail to contact them.

Course Numbering System

   ^ Top

Course levels:

100-level:   These courses are broad surveys or an introduction to a discipline. They do not have prerequisites, unless it is a sequential course.
200-level:   These courses are introductions to, or principles of, areas of study within a discipline. They may or may not have prerequisites.
300-level:   These are advanced courses, providing depth of study in a specialized topic, or pre-practicums. They often have prerequisites, or assume readiness for advanced level study.
400-level:   These are highly specialized courses, capstone seminars, or capstone practicums. Prerequisites, a level of readiness, or advancement within the major may be required for this advanced level of work.

The listing of courses described herein is not intended to imply that offerings have been finally determined for the 2005-2006 academic year. All courses are subject to faculty availability.

Credits and Degree Requirements

   ^ Top


   ^ Top

Degrees are conferred once each year at the annual commencement ceremony following the spring semester. Students who complete degree requirements during the prior December or are scheduled to complete in the spring semester or by the following August are eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony. All students must complete a degree application with the registrar in order to be eligible to participate in the May commencement ceremony. Degree applications for the May ceremony are generally due to the registrar by the beginning of February.

Notwithstanding the foregoing and the successful completion of all academic requirements, a student may not be entitled to participate in commencement exercises and/or receive a diploma if he/she is involved in any disciplinary proceedings, and is sanctioned as such.

Credit By Examination Programs Policy

   ^ Top

The College awards credit to fulfill degree requirements for certain Advanced Placement (AP), DANTES Subject Standardized Test, and College- Level Examination Program (CLEP) standardized examinations. Credits awarded for examinations do not qualify for residency credit.

Credit will not be awarded for any course previously taken at the College with an unsatisfactory grade. Credits awarded for acceptable examination scores will be assigned a “P” (pass) grade. For a list of current AP, CLEP, DANTES examinations approved for Springfield College credit, contact the Office of the Registrar or the Office of Admissions.

Advanced Placement Credit Guidelines
The College awards credits for Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and examinations which have been approved as comparable to Springfield College courses or to college-level electives. In order to be approved, the registrar and the department chair, relative to the course and examination in question, must determine the passing score, the actual course equivalency, and the number of semester hours awarded.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and DANTES Subject Standardized Test Guidelines
The College awards credits for certain CLEP and DANTES examinations which have been approved as measuring achievement comparable to specific Springfield College courses. In order to be approved, the registrar and the department chair, relative to the course equivalency in question, must determine the passing score, the actual course equivalency, and the number of semester hours awarded.

Cross-Registration Between the School of Human Services and Traditional Undergraduate School

   ^ Top

Upon meeting the following conditions, traditional Springfield College students are eligible to register for a class offered by the School of Human Services through the course cross-registration process.

  1. Prior approval of course cross-registration must be secured using the Springfield College Cross-Registration Form.
  2. Students must fulfill course prerequisites, if any, prior to course cross-registration.
  3. Undergraduate General Education Requirements may not be met through course cross-registration.
  4. Undergraduate students are eligible to cross-register for undergraduate courses only.
  5. Course cross-registration is limited to one course per semester, with a maximum course limit of three.
  6. Course cross-registration is allowed only in those courses where space is available.
  7. Course cross-registration is not allowed during Intersession and Summer Sessions (May term for the School of Human Services.)
  8. Tuition charge for a cross-registration course is based on the rate applicable to the individuals degree program.

Deans List

   ^ Top

The Deans List is published two times a year; in January, following completion of the fall semester, and in June, following completion of the spring semester.

The criteria for selection to the Deans List are as follows:

  1. The student must have completed a minimum of twelve credit hours of graded coursework for the semester, exclusive of “P” grades.
  2. The student must not have any incompletes, missing grades or “CP”s in the designated semester.
  3. The student must have a minimum semester grade point average of 3.500 for the semester.
  4. The student must not have been barred from the Dean’s List due to a disciplinary action.

If subsequent grade changes qualify a student for Dean’s List honors for a previous semester, that designation will be reflected on the students transcript.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, even if all academic requirements for the Deans List have been met, a student may be sanctioned pursuant to the student disciplinary policy which may prevent the awarding of Deans List credentials.

Degrees Offered

   ^ Top

Under the College’s charter, degree programs leading to a bachelor of arts (B.A.), and a bachelor of science (B.S.) are available on the undergraduate level.

The College also offers graduate programs leading to a master of science (M.S.), master of education (M.Ed.), master of physical education (M.P.E.), master of social work (M.S.W.), certificate of advanced study (C.A.S.), and doctor of physical education (D.P.E.).

Honorary degrees are granted in limited number by the Board of Trustees to recognize preeminent achievement in the fields for which the College is noted.

Posthumous Degrees Offered
Upon request, Springfield College may award a degree (any level) posthumously in the following circumstance: When a student death occurs during a student’s final academic year, and the students was in good academic standing with the college and completed at least 90% of all required coursework for the degree. Graduate students must have begun the capstone experience. The school Dean will make the final determination in consultation with the Registrar.

Degree Requirements - Undergraduate Level

   ^ Top

(Department requirements may vary. See specific major requirements within department.)

In order to complete a baccalaureate degree at Springfield College, an undergraduate student must complete the following requirements:

  1. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.000. (Specific major programs may require a higher GPA.)
  2. Successful completion of 130 semester hours
  3. Successful completion of the General Education Program
  4. Successful completion of all requirements for the declared major.
  5. Fulfillment of residency requirement

Even if all of the foregoing requirements for a Baccalaureate Degree have been met, the sanctioning of a student pursuant to the Student Disciplinary Policy may prevent the awarding of such a degree.

Distribution of Undergraduate Credits

   ^ Top

The minimum credits required for a baccalaureate degree are generally distributed among the General Education Program; the requirements for a major; electives; and requirements for a minor, if applicable. Students majoring in certain programs may have additional requirements that decrease the number of electives in their program and/or increase their credit requirements for graduation.

Grades and Grading

   ^ Top

Students’ work will be evaluated by faculty members and course grades assigned. Examinations, written papers, oral assignments, and/or fieldwork may constitute the basis for the grade awarded in class. Faculty members generally outline the details for determining grades on the course syllabus. Often, any weighted factors for assignments will be outlined in the syllabus.

Grade points are assigned to each grade and used in the calculation of the student’s GPA for the semesters work or cumulative average. The grades and point values are as follows:

Grade Equivalencies   Grade Points
A (Exceptional)
B (Good)
C (Fair)
D (Passing)
D- (Lowest Passing)
F (Failure)
P (Pass, C- or better)


I (Incomplete) X (Audit) W (Withdrawal) *Grade not reported by faculty IP (Course in progress) CP (Credit pending)

Faculty have sole responsibility for awarding all grades except CP, IP, W, X, and *.

Audit Policy

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students may audit one undergraduate course per semester on a space-available basis. The same tuition charges per credit hour apply to audited courses as credited courses. Students are required to attend classes but are not required to complete course assignments or take exams. At the time of registration, students must designate audit status on their registration form for the audited course.

An audit carries no credit, has no grade point equivalent, and is recorded as an X on the transcript. Although the course is entered onto a transcript, it does not affect a students full- or part-time status. Audited courses are not eligible for credit earned through proficiency examinations, nor can the audited course be repeated for credit in subsequent semesters. Students may change from credit to audit or audit to credit status in a course through the end of the twelfth week of a semester.

Credit Pending Grade

   ^ Top

The designation of “CP” (Credit Pending) is given only in courses in which work extends beyond the end of the semester; use of “CP” must be approved in advance by the Department Chair or Campus Director, and the Registrar. Courses eligible for “CP” include independent study, dissertation, thesis, research or courses designed to extend beyond the end of a typical semester. The designation of “CP” does not affect the GPA calculation. In order for a student to graduate a “CP” designation must be converted to a grade.

Incomplete Grade Policy

   ^ Top

An instructor may give a grade of incomplete (I) following a students request in situations where incapacitating illness or exceptional circumstances beyond the control of the student prevent the student from completing course requirements as determined in the sole discretion of the instructor. A student will have a specified period of time, not to exceed two semesters exclusive of summer or prior to graduation, to complete incomplete work.

A contract for incomplete grades must be completed. A copy of this contract will remain with the student, the instructor, the registrar, and the academic department offering the course.

If the student does not meet the conditions of the contract for the completion of the incomplete by the time specified or prior to graduation, the registrar will automatically change the “I” grade to an “F” grade or an alternate grade designated by the instructor that is based on the work completed.

This policy applies to all students enrolled at Springfield College, effective Fall 1999. It does not affect I grades given prior to this date.

Pass/Fail Grading

   ^ Top

During their sophomore, junior, and senior years, students may elect to take one course per term on a pass/fail basis. A maximum of eighteen semester hours is permitted, excluding courses that are automatically graded on a pass/fail basis. Courses taken on the pass/fail basis must be approved by the instructor and cannot be General Education Requirements or specific courses required in the students major. Students wishing to take courses on a pass/fail basis must petition the Office of the Registrar at the time of course registration. Grades for approved pass/fail courses cannot be changed to conventional letter grades. A grade of “P” (pass), will not affect a students GPA; however, a grade of “F” (fail) will affect the GPA.

Grade Changes

   ^ Top

Instructors may not submit grade changes later than one calendar year following the semester or term in which a course was originally graded. This policy is not intended to supercede the academic grievance policy or the policy governing incompletes. Grades can be changed only if a grade was miscalculated or erroneously reported by the faculty member or if an incomplete needs to be changed. A form for grade changes is available in the Office of the Registrar. Only faculty may complete the form and submit it to the registrar. Students will receive notification of the grade change from the Office of the Registrar.

Graduate Credits as an Undergraduate

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students wishing to take a course for graduate credit may do so with the permission of their major advisor, Department Chair, and the Dean of Graduate Studies. In order to be eligible, a student must:

  • have no more than 18 semester hours of undergraduate requirements to be met in order to complete the requirements for the Bachelors degree

  • have no more than 18 semester hours of required undergraduate work remaining, in addition to full-time off-campus fieldwork, that will be done in the following semester.

The Petition for Approval to Take Courses for Graduate Credit While Still an Undergraduate must be completed with the Office of Graduate Studies prior to completing the course.

Repeating a Course

   ^ Top

Students may repeat a course in which they have received an unsatisfactory grade. To do so, they register again for the course at SC or for an approved equivalent course at another institution. When a new grade from SC or a “P” from another institution is submitted, the original grade is removed from the calculation of the cumulative GPA. If taken at SC, the new grade, whether higher or lower than the original grade, is used in calculating both the current semester and cumulative GPA.

Calculation of GPA

   ^ Top

GPA is computed by dividing the total grade points earned by the total semester hours attempted. Academic and physical education activity courses are included in this computation.

For example:

Grades (for each course)   Semester Hours   Grade Points   Total Grade Points
A   3   x 4.0   12.00
B   3   x 3.0   9.00
C   3   x 2.0   6.00
D   3   x1.0   3.00
Totals   12       30 (total for all courses)

Calculation: Total grade points divided by total semester hours equals GPA 30 divided by 12 equals 2.500 GPA

Registration and Records

   ^ Top

Change of Major

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students may apply to a new major by meeting with the major’s department chairperson and completing an Application to Change Major/Minor Form, available from the Office of the Registrar. Some majors also require a letter of application. The new majors department chairperson must approve and sign the application. In addition, the application must be signed by the chairperson of the students previous major.

Students must generally be in good academic standing to be admitted into a new major. Some majors require higher GPAs to meet advanced standing standards or satisfactory completion of certain prerequisites. Certain majors are restricted in number and limit the number of new majors accepted. Applying to some majors, including physical therapy, requires a formal application and review process.

Change of Schedule - Add/Drop Period

   ^ Top

Springfield College maintains a five-day add period and a ten-day drop period each semester (excluding summer). During the first five days of each semester, students may request additions to their schedule of courses. Students must complete a Change-of-Schedule Form to complete schedule additions. The form may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. All Change-of-Schedule Forms must be signed by the students advisor before they are brought to the registrar for processing. After the five-day add period, students may not make additions to their academic schedules. Students are urged to refer to the Academic Schedule each semester for more specific information.

During the first ten days of the semester, students may drop a course they have registered for. An approved Change-of-Schedule Form must be signed by the students advisor. After the ten-day drop period, with the exception of physical education activities, students may, with the approval of their advisor and course instructor, withdraw (receive a grade of W) from a course anytime up to a point at which eighty percent of the course is completed (twelve weeks in a fifteen-week semester). Exceptions to the withdrawal deadline can be made only by the registrar. A W grade submitted for a student by the course instructor is recorded as a grade of F.

Cooperating College Credit

   ^ Top

Springfield College (SC), in cooperation with seven of the areas finest public and private institutions, has established a cooperative association that has been specifically designed to enhance the educational experience through the use of cooperative programs and services, including crossregistration, student-faculty inter-college library privileges, joint student activities, academic cooperation, and student activity calendars.

Known as the Cooperating Colleges of Greater Springfield (CCGS), the association was formed in 1970 by the presidents of each of the charter institutions. The other members are American International College, Bay Path College, Elms College, Holyoke Community College, Springfield Technical Community College, Western New England College, and Westfield State College.

Springfield College undergraduate students may, with approval, enroll for cooperating college credit at any of the CCGS institutions in courses not offered in the curricula of Springfield College. Cooperating college credit is not available for internships and graduate courses. Students are limited to two courses or 6-8 credits per semester.

In Fall or Spring semesters: Students must be registered as full-time (combination of SC and cooperating college courses must total at least 12 credit hours) and complete CCGS cross-registration paperwork prior to taking the course. Tuition costs for courses taken for cooperating college credit are paid by students home college. Grades for completed coursework are submitted to the SC Registrar by the CCGS institution. These grades are reflected on the SC transcript. Credit hours are applied as SC residential credit.

In Summer: Cooperating college credit (CCGS cross-registration) is not available during summer sessions. Students wishing to take a course at a CCGS institution during the summer should follow the procedure for obtaining transfer credit approval. Upon completion of coursework, students must request an official transcript be sent to the SC Registrar. Grades are not recorded on the SC transcript and hours are not applied as SC residential credit.

Leave of Absence for Matriculated Students

   ^ Top

A student in good academic standing who wishes to temporarily interrupt his or her college program may request a leave of absence. Full-time students may have two consecutive semesters, and part-time students may have four consecutive semesters (exclusive of summer) from the date of the leave of absence. Leaves of absence are arranged through the Office of the Dean of Students. For students going on a leave of absence, the registrar will drop all courses if leave is requested during the first ten days of the semester, and issue a grade of W for all courses if the leave is initiated after the ten-day drop period.

The leave of absence option allows the student to re-enroll within the previously stated time period without going through readmission procedures. Extension of a leave, for not more than two semesters, may be obtained for extenuating circumstances by contacting the Dean of Students. If students do not enroll after the leave expires, they may lose their matriculation status, and may be required to reapply for admission.

Nonmatriculated Student Status

   ^ Top

A student may include a maximum of thirty semester hours earned as a full-time or part-time, nonmatriculated student in the total hours required for graduation. Undergraduate courses are open to students who have earned a high school degree or GED. Students must have completed any prerequisites listed for courses for which they intend to register. Students may take classes for personal enrichment or as exploration for possible degree admissions. Students may not take more than thirty semester hours as an undergraduate, nonmatriculated student and apply them toward a degree. Further courses taken as a nonmatriculated student will require permission of the registrar.

Registration and Change of Schedule Requests

   ^ Top

Students who attend a course for which they are not officially registered will not receive credit or grades for their work. The registration of all students is conducted under the direction of the registrar, according to the schedule of classes for the College year. The official registration records are compiled and administered in the Office of the Registrar. All full-time undergraduate and graduate students are registered at specific times and dates as listed in the official calendars. The registrar publishes, in advance of each registration, specific instructions regarding procedures. Students who fail to register by the registration deadline may be required to pay a late-registration fee. Courses with low enrollments are subject to cancellation. Not all courses listed in the course description section of the Catalogs are offered each semester.

All students are expected to carry between twelve and sixteen semester hours of academic work per semester and may qualify as full-time students with twelve hours.

Authorization forms must be presented at the time of registration for all Courses by Arrangement.

Students who wish to register for twenty-one semester hours or more must have the written approval of their advisor and the dean of the school in which their major resides.

Students who do not enroll for two of more consecutive semesters, and do not file a leave-of-absence, may be subject to administrative withdrawal, and re-admittance.

Second Bachelors Degree

   ^ Top

Individuals may be eligible to obtain a second bachelors degree from Springfield College. Whether or not a student’s first bachelor’s degree was earned at Springfield College, the following policy applies:

  1. Students must apply to the Office of Admissions for admittance into a specific major as a second bachelor’s degree applicant.
  2. All students applying as a second bachelor’s degree candidate must have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/universdity.
  3. All students admitted to Springfield College for a second bachelor’s degree will be exempt from the Springfield College General Education requirements.
  4. In order to receive the second bachelor’s degree from SC, students must complete all requirements for the new major, and meet the institutional grade point average requirements for a bachelor’s degree.
  5. Second bachelor’s degree students must complete a minimum residency requirement of 30 semester hours for the second major, including a minimum of 15 credits within the major area of study.

Student Records

   ^ Top

Springfield College will maintain student confidentiality rights and protect access to information as provided by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, also known as the Buckley Amendment. Except as provided by law, information from a students records will not be released without the prior written consent of the student. This legislation also provides numerous exceptions whereby the College may release information without prior notice and/or consent of the student, including, but not limited to, the following:

  1. Directory information may be provided unless a student has filed a written request to withhold this information. Students must advise the Office of the Registrar in writing no later than September 15 of each academic year if they wish to restrict the release of this information. Springfield College considers the following information as directory information: name; campus mailbox, campus phone number, enrollment status, dates of attendance at the College, major, credit hours earned; degrees earned; honors received.
  2. Information may be shared with and by Springfield College faculty and staff who have a legitimate educational interest in the student.
  3. Academic information may be shared with parents of students who complete an authorization to release academic records information, or if parents provide the registrar with an annual copy of thier federal income tax return documenting the student as a dependent.

In addition, any requests that come from officials of other institutions in which the student might be applying for transfer; government agencies and officials who provide proper identification; officers of the court; financial aid personnel to support a students application for aid; as well as appropriate parties in health or safety emergencies will have access to information in the students records. Students may also be asked to sign a written waiver granting permission for the release of information from the school records.

Students retain the right to review the contents of their educational and academic records. In order to do so, a formal written request must be made through the Office of the Registrar. In such cases, a meeting will be established within forty-five days of the request to permit the student to review materials. Springfield College will comply with a written request initiated by the student to supply information in their behalf. Such requests must be signed and dated and include the specific records or information to be disclosed, the purpose for the disclosure, and the individual(s) to whom the information should be released. Details concerning the Buckley Amendment are available at the Office of the Dean of Students and the Office of the Registrar.

Transcript of Academic Work

   ^ Top

Students may obtain student-issued, unofficial copies of their academic transcripts for the duration of study at Springfield College. Applications for these transcripts are made in writing to the Office of the Registrar.

A $4-$6 fee is charged for transcripts requested to be officially sent to a third party. Official transcript requests must include name and address of the official to whom the information is to be mailed, along with a students signature as permission to release a record.

Official transcripts, bearing the College seal, are sent by the registrar directly to the receiver and may not be transmitted by the applicant. Ordinarily, transcript requests will be processed and mailed within ten days of the written request.

Currently enrolled students; non-enrolled students; students who have been separated, dismissed, suspended, expelled, disciplined, withdrawn, or were on a leave of absence may not obtain an official transcript, access to registration for courses, selection of a residence hall room, and/or a diploma if their accounts are not paid in full, as and when due.

Withdrawal Policy From a Course

   ^ Top

Students, with the permission of their advisors and course instructors, may withdraw from a course at any time up to the point at which eighty percent of the course is completed. The end of the twelfth week is the last day to withdraw from a course that meets the entire semester.

Exceptions to the withdrawal deadline can be made only by the Registrar. A W grade submitted by the course instructor may be recorded as a grade of “F”.

Withdrawal Policy From the College

   ^ Top

To withdraw from Springfield College, a student must meet with a member of the Office of the Dean of Students for an exit interview at which time the various steps of the withdrawal process will be reviewed. The purpose of the interview is for the student to have an opportunity to review options and bring closure to the experience at the College. At that time, an effective withdrawal date will be determined. This date will be used in processing any possible refunds. Students who are withdrawing from the College must return the Student Identification Card that was issued to them. Withdrawals will not be processed unless the Student Identification Card is returned.

If a withdrawn student wishes to return to Springfield College as a matriculated student, they must apply for re-admission.

Residency Credit Requirement

   ^ Top

In order to receive a baccalaureate degree, undergraduate students in the School of Arts, Sciences, and Professional Studies; the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation; the School of Health Sciences and Rehabilitation Studies; or interdisciplinary programs, must complete at least 60 credit hours through Springfield College. Of the last 30 semester hours, at least 15 hours must be taken through Springfield College. In addition, some departments may have specific residency requirements related to their programs.

Residency credit includes approved courses taken for cooperating college credit and certain study-abroad programs sponsored by the College. Residency credit does not include transfer credit (including CCGS courses not approved for cooperating college credit), credit-by-examination, portfolio credits, or prior learning credits.

Transfer Credit Policy

   ^ Top

Undergraduate students enrolled in, or enrolling into, the School of Arts, Sciences, and Professional Studies; the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation; the School of Health Sciences and Rehabilitation Studies; and the Undeclared and General Studies majors are required to complete a minimum of 60 semester hours through Springfield College in order to fulfill the residency requirement. The remaining semester hours required to complete their undergraduate degree may be completed at the College or transferred in from other institutions.

Courses submitted for transfer credit are reviewed and approved by the Office of the Registrar. Those courses completed 10 or more years before the student’s matriculation at Springfield College may be subject to further review by appropriate academic faculty prior to final approval.

In order to be accepted for transfer credit, courses must be:

  1. completed at a regionally accredited institution of higher education. (Regional accrediting bodies are NEASC, MSACS, NCACS, NWASC, SACS, and WASC);
  2. graded as a C- or better (grades of P (pass) will only be accepted if there is documentation that the P is equivalent to a C- or better);

In addition, a course accepted for transfer credit must satisfy one of the following conditions:

  1. It must be equivalent to a course needed to fulfill an General Education Requirement. (Note that transfer courses cannot be used to fulfill Writing-Across-the-Curriculum requirements.)
  2. It must be approved to fulfill requirements for a major or minor by the chairperson of the relevant major or minor department. Generally, such coursework must be equivalent to courses offered by Springfield College, but the chairperson may accept coursework not offered by the College if it is judged applicable to major or minor requirements.
  3. It must be approved by the registrar for use as general elective credit, and it must be needed to fulfill degree requirements, based on the students major. Courses used for general elective credit need not be equivalent to Springfield College courses.

A course catalog, course description, or course syllabus may be needed to appropriately assess the course.

Springfield College does not grant transfer credit for the following work completed at or assessed by other colleges: college-based credit by exam or challenge, correspondence courses, portfolio assessment, independent study, fieldwork, or cooperative education experience.

Credit for CLEP, AP, and DANTES examinations are assessed consistent with relevant College policy. Credit for armed services experience or employer training programs is assessed by the registrar based on American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines. Original documentation related to such coursework must be presented.

Courses accepted for transfer credit will be listed on the students transcript with a designation of “TR”, the number of semester hours awarded, the name of the institution where the course was taken, and the number and title of the equivalent Springfield College course. For direct equivalencies, courses will be transferred in with the Springfield College credit value. If there is no direct equivalent, it will be designated as an elective with the most closely associated academic program prefix. Grades received for transfer courses are not indicated on the Springfield College record, and the grades and related quality points are not calculated in the semester or cumulative grade point averages. However, transfer credits awarded do contribute toward students totals of cumulative earned and attempted hours.

If a student with transfer credit changes major or minor after enrolling at the College, their transfer credits and previous transcripts will be reevaluated by the Registrars Office to determine if any adjustment is necessary.

For incoming transfer students in majors that do not specifically require physical education activity courses (other than to complete the General Education Requirements), .5 semester hours of required activity courses will be waived for every 18 semester hours of accepted transfer credit up to a maximum of 2 semester hours. The waiver does not carry credit and does not reduce the minimum semester hours required for graduation. The waiver is prorated for students who transfer in physical education skill credits.

For continuing students:

  1. Currently enrolled students wishing to transfer credits to the College should submit the completed Transfer Credit Approval Form to the registrar for approval, prior to taking courses at another institution. This form is available in the Office of the Registrar. Requests for approval may also be submitted via fax or e-mail, if necessary. A course catalog, official course description, or course syllabus may be needed to appropriately assess the course.
    1. Courses intended to fulfill major or minor requirements require the approval of the chairperson of the major or minor department and the registrar. The chairperson of that department may also require the student to obtain the approval of the chairperson of the department in which the course is offered.
    2. Courses intended to fulfill electives or General Education Requirements require approval of the registrar; in some cases the registrar may need to consult with relevant department chairs or faculty before granting approval.
    3. Failure to obtain appropriate approvals, in writing, prior to taking a course at another institution may preclude awarding of credit.
  2. Courses accepted for transfer credit will be listed on a students transcript with a designation of TR, the number of semester hours awarded, the name of the institution where the course was taken, and the number and title of the equivalent Springfield College course.
    1. Grades received for transfer courses are not indicated on the Springfield College record, and the grades and related quality points are not calculated in the semester or cumulative grade point averages. However, transfer credits awarded do contribute toward students totals of cumulative earned and attempted hours.
    2. If the approved transfer course is a repeat of a previously taken course, and it has now been passed with a C- or better, credit will be awarded. The original grade for the course will remain on the record but it is removed from the calculation of the cumulative grade point average. The new grade is not recorded and will not otherwise impact the grade point average.